Cell-ID

Started by
9 comments, last by bulldog232 19 years, 9 months ago
Hi there, I''m working on a location based cellphone game and have been looking for this information for about two days. all i know is that it IS out there, it''s possible to do it, but noone has ever posted how, anywhere... the question is, if there is a way to retrieve the current Cell-ID of a cellphone (in java preferably) and if yes, then how Apparantly what most peopel are interessted in, is to use that info to calculate the geographical coordiantes of the phone, but I don''t even want to go that far, all i need is that freakin number... ANY help would be highly apriciated!
Advertisement
Despite whatever you''ve read, there''s no standard, cross-phone way to do it. Individual phones might let you, most likely via the System.getProperty call or vendor-specific APIs; I''d look around at docs for the individual phones I was programming if I were you.

"Sneftel is correct, if rather vulgar." --Flarelocke
There is also the posibility that the network operator has a web interface you can query to get that information.

shmoove
i see, thats not an acceptable solution :/
My current idea works out like this:
I''ll set up my own WAP-gateway, since every WAP-request contains the cell-information amoung other things I''m sure there''s a way to parse that information from the logfiles.
If it worked, it would do so for every platform...
What do you think of that?
How would you set up the phones to go through your gateway?
There is no way to do it with code, the users have to set the gateway IP manually in their connection settings.

shmoove
Yeah, I just found out... I''m afraid that that''s the way to go then... Unfortunately there seems to be no other platform-independant way to do it currently. The good point is, once the game is done, we can try to get the cooperation of local providers and then it will work just as well... By now I''m quite sure that this is how other location based games handle the issue, unfortunately we don''t have the time to wait for a decission at a provider.
My guess (it''s just a guess, I haven''t worked on any location based services), is that the currently available location based games and services work with the cooperation of the network operators - by them giving the developers an interface they can query to get the cell-id or similar information.

shmoove
Hmm...I'm going to have to do something similar with my project.

All cell phones have a GPS system in them (at least the ones made in the last several years) in case of an emergency. Perhaps you should look in that direction?

Joe
Actually, most cell phones do not have a GPS system in them. You were probably thinking of the E911 services. E911 is an FCC-Mandated service that all cell phones and their service since 2001 or so have to be able to transmit the phones number and cell site location to the government aid service being called, namely 911.
only a small minority actually has GPS... if that was an option i would have used it. also, since they are planning to introduce the location API very soon, which uses any kind of way on the phone available to track down the location, i dont think its safe to assume that all phones in the future will have gps.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement