Game Developing contests ?

Started by
17 comments, last by Red Drake 19 years, 10 months ago
I hawe ben surfing on the net to find somthing like this lately. Buth no luck so anyone know of somthing like this ? I am not searching for awards, I only want to compeat and see some pro code on the work
Red Drake
Advertisement
There hasn''t been a decent one that I can recall in a while.

the 5 elements thing that was done on here a few years back was pretty cool.

Maybe we should start something? Maybe put up a Geforce6800 as the prize? :-D

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

I'd go in for that - but I'd arrange it an odd way:
a) to remove barriers to entry and make it fair to cheap developers, free tools only. Windows operating system itself is allowed, but no visual studio or anything like that. Can use existing free frameworks to build it, but the result will be compared against the base, so if you make an FPS based on the Quake 1 engine without changing much its not much point.

b) its about RAD. Done over a 24 hr period. Start saturday morning, finish by sunday morning. Fast framworks like PyGame or openfrag are your friends.

c) assignment is simple - i) basic genre - can bend as far as you like. ii) given theme iii) one or two special features (use a head tracker device, or run over tcp-ip, or voice control, whatever). Done in teams of 1-3.

Couldn't make anything impressive, but it would be fun to see what could be done in that time.

[edited by - Pxtl on June 8, 2004 2:47:19 PM]
-- Single player is masturbation.
quote:Original post by Etnu
There hasn''t been a decent one that I can recall in a while.

the 5 elements thing that was done on here a few years back was pretty cool.

Maybe we should start something? Maybe put up a Geforce6800 as the prize? :-D

Yea, right
If I had a Geforce6800 I woud certnatly not be using this crap of Geforce2 with AMD Athlon XP 1800.
As I said it''s not about the prize it''s about competing & shareing the code - ideas + get credits for it before someone thinks of it too
Red Drake
quote:Original post by Pxtl
no visual studio or anything like that
its about RAD

Now decide what you want.

You''ll never get all people to agree on single idea.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
Maybe you weren't looking hard enough...

LudumDare holds a 48-hour contest every once in a while (not nearly often enough) and it's always a very fun and challenging experience. Hell, the last one was even posted to slashdot!

Edit: no prizes though, it's all about the fame

[edited by - UfoZ on June 8, 2004 2:57:39 PM]
quote:Original post by Pxtl
I''d go in for that - but I''d arrange it an odd way:
a) to remove barriers to entry and make it fair to cheap developers, free tools only. Windows operating system itself is allowed, but no visual studio or anything like that. Can use existing free frameworks to build it, but the result will be compared against the base, so if you make an FPS based on the Quake 1 engine without changing much its not much point.

b) its about RAD. Done over a 24 hr period. Start saturday morning, finish by sunday morning. Fast framworks like PyGame or openfrag are your friends.

c) assignment is simple - i) basic genre - can bend as far as you like. ii) given theme iii) one or two special features (use a head tracker device, or run over tcp-ip, or voice control, whatever). Done in teams of 1-3.

Couldn''t make anything impressive, but it would be fun to see what could be done in that time.

[edited by - Pxtl on June 8, 2004 2:47:19 PM]

I agree buth is anyone wiling to do so. Im going to school & no money & no server ....
So i woud do it if I coud buth

About LudumDare I hawe not understud the rules quite clearly - buth I hawe seen it before
Red Drake
Allegro.cc organises the "Allegro Speedhack", which may be kicking off in a few weeks - this is a 72-hour compo, with rules TBA at the beginning of the 72 hours (pseudo-randomly generated combination of a large number of possibilities).

It's aimed at Allegro programmers - so it will require use of Allegro. But it doesn't prohibit the use of (all) other libraries - some entries use OpenGL.

In any case, like LD, the aim is that the bar to entry is as low as possible, people are encouraged to write new code NOT rehash existing works. Teams may be allowed, but due to the short time, people generally work alone.

The resulting games (made in 72 hours) certainly don't tend to be commercial quality - but some are quite impressive considering the time.

Another compo was "TINS" which was essentially a copy of Speedhack which took place last November. I'm happy to say, I came joint first!

But some of the entries were:

- Horizontal shooter
- Vertical shooter (* several)
- Top-down shooter with rotating world
- Resource management game
- 3d spherical worm game (pretty unique really, you'd have to see it to understand)
- 2d Thrust / gravitar type game (mine)
- Realtime strategy (OK, so it was a bit buggy, the hardest part was to fix the bugs so you could win)
- Really really weird game which involved getting the right combination of drugs into the character's brain

http://www.student.wau.nl/~martijni/tins/

One common rule, I believe, between Speedhack, LD48 and TINS, is that all source code MUST be released (not sure on the licence restrictions), but open sourcing the entries is encouraged, and the source code for all is available for download (some perhaps with restrictions).

So it's an ideal learning tool.

BUT code written in 48-72 hours may not be an example of how to do stuff perfectly.

Mark

[edited by - markr on June 8, 2004 4:09:55 PM]
Sounds like fun buth i don''t know anything about Allegro. (except maybe that it''s a library )
I was thinking somthing more of a general style buth a lithel more clear about the rules than LudumDare & somthing that woud not require for you to make a entire game, yust to make a demo demonstrating some topic - like phisiks, coallision & intersection ... so you can actualy see the quality code and not the art & imagination of other programers (this tend''s to suck - othervise they woud not be programers buth designers & modelers )
Red Drake
quote:
to remove barriers to entry and make it fair to cheap developers, free tools only. Windows operating system itself is allowed, but no visual studio or anything like that.

How would that be "fair"? Personally, I haven''t used a non-VS environment in years, and it would be a big pain in the ass to get another one working properly.

Not that you''d really have any way of figuring out what compiler / IDE was used in the first place.

You can say that you can''t use proprietary, non-free technology in the program itself though, which seems perfectly fair.

Not only that, but the VS debugger and Compiler are already free, anyway. The IDE is just a fancy text editor :-p.

quote:
If I had a Geforce6800 I woud certnatly not be using this crap of Geforce2 with AMD Athlon XP 1800.
As I said it''s not about the prize it''s about competing & shareing the code - ideas + get credits for it before someone thinks of it too

Simply resolved. We have a $5 fee, which would more or less offset the cost of buying the card (could be less if there are more submissions, of course).

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement