on software rendering

Started by
4 comments, last by temp_ie_cant_thinkof_name 19 years, 11 months ago
Which is the fasted way to draw one''s own pixels to a win32 window: DirectDraw, OpenGL, or GDI? Or is it easy enough to access system video memory without an api? If the latter is possible under windows (given privilege levels and what an application can address), then that is what I want to do, and I need some docs on that. Or if i''m a helpless n00b flame me, yay!
"I study differential and integral calculus in my spare time." -- Karl Marx
Advertisement
quote:Original post by temp_ie_cant_thinkof_name
Or is it easy enough to access system video memory without an api?

Not unless you write a driver for it. I dont think win32 will even give you access to the video i/o ports. Besides, modern cards have so many non-documented extentions it'd be impossible without knowing specific details about the card. You can always go 16-bit though and work though VBE or program the VGA/SVGA card yourself, but won't be able to access alot of the higher up functionality or acceleration features. Probably better to use an API.

With GDI you still wont get hardware acceleration, so your best choice is probably either GL or DX.

[edited by - DukeAtreides076 on June 8, 2004 12:27:03 AM]
I guess you could also write a driver that talks directly to DDI, but I have no idea if it will be faster or slower than DX/GL.
Wow, that was helpful, thanks! I have some tutorials on writing device drivers, but until then I''m leaning toward DX or gdi to start.
"I study differential and integral calculus in my spare time." -- Karl Marx
AFAIK, it''s possible using DirectDraw; you have to lock / unlock surfaces though (and can lose the contents of them randomly (Well, not randomly, but sometimes when you don''t expect).

SDL I think has some easy way of setting up a direct rendered surface.

Mark
SDL would probably be the easiest way, there''s no need to go writing your own device driver.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement