Gravity Force 2

Started by
3 comments, last by evolutional 19 years, 11 months ago
Does anyone here remember Gravity Force 2 / Gravity Power on the Amiga? For those unaware of this game, it was a 2 player side-on 2D death-match style game with full physics. Each player controlled a little triangle ship that had a cannon and a ''special'' weapon (missile/bomb/speed boost/etc). The aim was simply to fly around and blast the crap out of the other player. The real-physics in the game made for excellent gameplay, you could ''loft'' a bomb over an obstacle to have it smash down into the other player. If it exploded nearby you''d be hit by the shockwave - the gravity would let you pull off amazing feats that left your opponent in envy. It was a simple game to play but hard to master. My friends and I used to spend hours playing one-on-one. How would you see a modern version of this game taking shape? Would you want it in 3D or would it stay in the traditional 2D side on fashion? Obviously the game could benefit from the online multiplayer stuff we have going on now, perhaps tournaments and online leagues, etc. Instead of one on one, it could be two on two, every-man-for-himself with several players, etc. What would you change, what would you add?
Advertisement
Sounds great as a 2D so I would keep it as it. 3D would add more complexity to controls so the player would focus less on fighting and more in manuvering.

-A randomized variate interactive and ever changing world would be nice. As you said with gravity, objects of the world would have gravity, and other properties(for example crystal asteroids would let lasers go throught but nothing else).
-I was gonna say that allowing the player to modificate would be cool. I tought better and now I think that I wouldn´t like it, because seems like the beauty of the game is not in the ships, and it would make it more troublesome, less simple fun for the player.
-No powerups
-I don´t know if the original game was like this, but no different ships or special weapon choosing, instead everyone has the same abilites(this doesn´t means you shouldn''t have many special weapons). The specials should be limited by ammo or time.
-As you suggested different fighting modes, team vs team(1 vs 1 would be 1 player team vs another player), chase the king, survival, tournament, etc. Killing an enemy should refill all your energy.
-Again I don''t know if the original game had this, but small energy bars. Like you have 5 energy points, a laser cannon shot(fast) inflicts 1, a missile direct hit(slow) direct hit would inflict 3, if it makes a shockwave it would make 1, a bomb (movement totally controled by the gravity of the objects in the enviroment) direct hit 4, and the shockwave 2, crashing with something would make 1 damage, and if you crash against an enemy while using the speed boost it would only hurt him.
I''m suprised nobody remembers this (or perhaps they do and just don''t care).

There was a health bar, it could be recharged by landing on designated ''pads''. Of course, landing on a pad left you extremely prone to enemy attack (you could still use your weapons though).

I think 3d would complicate the game too much- but if the game was faux-2d in a 3d world, it would allow for more 3d type entities - the original bitmapped landscape (which could be shot out) would still be deformable if some form of deformable terrain was in place.

What you said about the crashing into the enemy sort of happened - if you hit someone, it would calculate the forces of impact and the slowest would receive a little damage. You could actually broadside someone, if you hit them with a huge amount of force and turned your ship side-on then you''d be able to rebound away from them and fire your thrusters to make a nice clean getaway.

When you started the round, you''d get to choose between one of 4/5 special weapons and a couple of types of guns. Naturally, the hardcore players preferred to have the straight shooter and the standard rear-dropped bomb. It was a game of skill and honour when played like that.
looking for this?

jetman revival
Interesting - it looks similar to GF2 - more of a faithful reconstruction than a remake. I''m looking for things to change in the game, inspired by the people that have played it - it seems no one has

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement