DX vs OGL

Started by
7 comments, last by HeavyStorm 19 years, 11 months ago
I know that this topic is probably one of the most dicussed on the forum, but I''m needing some help to clarify this subject. I have programmed in DX a long time ago (DX 6, I think), but two years and a half ago I switched to OGL for a number of different reasons (mainly, because it was easier to find documentation over it on my University library). Now, I''m slip over the two APIs. The main reason for this is that the (gaming) industry seems to be using only DX nowadays. DX has some obvious advantages, like DInput and DSound, but I think I can use those together with OGL (right?). Even so, what''s better, to use OLG + DX, or stick only with DX and forget about OGL? Or OGL is supreme over DX (talking only about graphics generation) so I should keep learning OGL? Finally, I wanted to know if it''s easy to migrate from OGL to DX. I have almost no knowledge of the current API (DX9.0b), and can''t remenber one thing of the old DX6. So, please, if someone has some insights for me, I would be really grateful. "Play the violent strings of my symphony" -- Symphony X
-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=--=-=-=-Senior Programmer - iMAX Games
Advertisement
You can either search google, google for gamedev, gamedev forums themself.
DX > OGL, for one simple reason: DirectX is not only Graphics, you moron!

You have 100 options:
1) Pick DirectX and learn all its APIs.
2) Pick OpenGL graphics and combine it with SDL for input/audio/network, OpenAL audio, DevIL imagelib.
3) Pick 1) and 2) to become master.
4) Suicide.
5) Suicide.
6) Suicide.
7) ..

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)
I hate OGL. You need to arse about with extensions to get the most simple things working, and you need to deal with vendor specific extensions. D3D handles all that for you.

D3D > OGL.
Damn.. Don''t make stupid comments because once you arsed all those extensions, you have more options than with Direct3D. THAT of course is just for a short period. (The truth is, Microsoft seems to be getting nicer to us with all the tools (XNA & free compilers) and of course the DirectX summer updates).

--
You''re Welcome,
Rick Wong
- Google | Google for GameDev.net | GameDev.net''s DirectX FAQ. (not as cool as the Graphics and Theory FAQ)
/me gives fire extinguisher to mod and hopes he closes this thread ASAP.

You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
You should never let your fears become the boundaries of your dreams.
T''is very simple to get around that, use an extension loading lib, such as GLee, call one init function and then treat the extensions as normal function calls, job done.
You dont have to deal with vendor specific extensions for most things, pretty much everything else is standardised.

imo OGL and D3D are on a par with one another, there are areas where one is slighty better than the other but at the end of the day its pretty much down to personal choice, personaly i dont like the DX way of doing things and prefer the OGL way which is why I use OGL, but others feel the other way around.

This artical by Promit pretty much sums up things nicely

Before this thread breaks down I think it should probably be closed
quote:Original post by HeavyStorm
I know that this topic is probably one of the most dicussed on the forum

Actually it''s one of the least discussed topics because it always get''s closed. Speaking of which...

If I can get this in before this is closed: You really need to update your DirectX knowledge. 6.0 is long gone. DirectX underwent a revolutionary change at DirectX 8.0. There is no longer retained/immediate modes. The entire API has changed alot, for the better.
A search for the phrase "DirectX vs. OpenGL" gives a good pageful of results. Google would give even more.

I even wrote a section on it in the DirectX Forum FAQ.

So I don''t think this topic is really necessary, do you?

Richard "Superpig" Fine - saving pigs from untimely fates - Microsoft DirectX MVP 2006/2007/2008/2009
"Shaders are not meant to do everything. Of course you can try to use it for everything, but it's like playing football using cabbage." - MickeyMouse

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement