Please have a go of my game.

Started by
5 comments, last by n0p3x 23 years, 8 months ago
Hi, Check out my game and let me know what you think. Please don''t criticise it to badly as i''m pretty new to the world of DirectX. As for the opponent sprites just ignore them, I''m working on getting ''real'' ones done. It''s less than 400k so it wonttake any time to download. Oh, if it crashes or anything then please email me the file errors.log to root@cod3r.cjb.net here it is Thanks all Regards, David Stubbs
Regards,Dave
Advertisement
Your game works perfect on my machine. It''s a bit simple, but it isn''t that bad considering you''re new to DirectX. Just keep adding features (maybe let the player have an decreasing energy bar so (s)he has to pick up items), graphics etc. to make the game more interesting.

--------------------------Programmers don't byte, they nibble a bit. Unknown Person-------------------------
Cool game
The little ship is from Lamothe''s TOTWGPG, right ?
Got 30fps (Why are you locking the frame rate?)

The road to success is always under construction
Goblineye EntertainmentThe road to success is always under construction
Yeah the ship is stolen from his book. The frame rate is locked to stop the game running too fast onother computers. I''ve got loads I want to add to the game, im just working on them slowly.

Thanks for checking it out

Regards,
David Stubbs
Regards,Dave
Why stollen ? Borrowed...
You can make the game run at the same speed on any computer w/o locking the fps.
You update the position of your characters on screen according to the current FPS.
You count the time it takes for the game to finish one frame and go to another and you make your ships move by units-per-second.
So, if the difference between the frames is 0.1s (pretty slow but whatever...) and the ship's speed is 20 units-per-sec the ship will move 2 pixels in the next frame.
Much better
BTW, Why when I press Space this weird stuff come out of the ship and the game shuts down a sec after ?

Edited by - Tornado on August 28, 2000 5:08:13 AM
Goblineye EntertainmentThe road to success is always under construction
I was hoping to code the game like that so it would always run at the same speed. It just takes a while to get these things done as their is so much I want to do.

I am curent;y working on an explosion sequence. Rather than having tokeep dieing I have it so pressing RETURN (you meant that key didn''t you Tornado?) it does the death sequence. However, it''s very buggy and usually crashes soon after

Thanks for all the help anyway.

Regards,
David Stubbs
Regards,Dave
about 3 seconds into the game it starts going reallly slow... like 1 frame every 3 seconds

i get these errors in error.log:
(down the bottom)

ERROR: FillScreen, Blitting colour to surface
ERROR: Locking back buffer

i have a celeron433, tnt2 32mb m-64, 64mb ram

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement