DirectDraw AlphaBlending w/ Acceleration!

Started by
8 comments, last by cyberben 23 years, 8 months ago
Hi there, I''m developing a game in DirectDraw and have been told many times "much to our disappointement DirectX7 didn''t support acceleration in DirecDraw..." so we have to implement it in software. Well no when I look through the Include files all the stuff is there to do accelerated alpha with Blt and BLTFX, is this just part of what *was* planned to be, but doesn''t work? If so, will this work in DX8? I mean if I develope for DX7 expecting that when I call on DX7 when the user has a newer version of DX will it then support Accelerated Alpha Blending like it should? That sounds a little confusing, but you get the point? I want to use Accelerated Alpha blending in DirectDraw without going into the mess of using 3D sprites on paired triangles and stuff... Thanks, Ben __________________________ Mencken's Law: "For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons." - Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
Advertisement
There will not be a DirectDraw interface in DirectX 8.0
Yeah, Direct3D and DirectDraw will be integrated together in DX8
You can use 3D hardware accelerated Alpha Blending with D3D, it''s not very hard.
Here''s an article about it.

The road to success is always under construction
Goblineye EntertainmentThe road to success is always under construction
Ummm that''s impossible, that would either render DX8 useless or microsoft would be making *ALL* games ever made before DX8 non-functional if it wasn''t backwards compatable. Isn''t that the idea behind the com interface? They''ll have to have support! They may not make a DirectDraw 8 but they''ll have to support DirectDraw7!
- Ben
__________________________Mencken's Law:"For every human problem, there is a neat, simple solution; and it's always wrong."
"Computers in the future may weigh no more than 1.5 tons."- Popular Mechanics, forecasting the relentless march of science in 1949
THANKS A LOT TORNADO!! That seems to be a much better written tutorial than I''ve read before on doing this. Thanks again. But still DX8 has to support DirectDraw7. Otherwise all my developement is going to waste. Why set up what''s on that linked page if it won''t run in a year when everyone has got DX8?

Well I''ll check out microsofts FAQ seems how I''m sure many have asked about this already. Thanks anyhow!
See ya,
Ben
quote:Original post by cyberben

Ummm that''s impossible, that would either render DX8 useless or microsoft would be making *ALL* games ever made before DX8 non-functional if it wasn''t backwards compatable. Isn''t that the idea behind the com interface? They''ll have to have support! They may not make a DirectDraw 8 but they''ll have to support DirectDraw7!
- Ben

I think you misunderstand what Jesava and Tornado meant. The version 8 interface of DirectX will be different from 7. DirectDraw and Direct3d will be consolidated into one interface that serves the same purpose (DirectGraphics, I believe)

Since DirectX is a COM interface, yes DirectX 7 will still be available even when the version 8 drivers are installed. However, MS will be doing no further development on version 7. What this means is that anything that was "not yet implemented" in version 7 of DirectDraw, never will be. Perhaps DirectX 8 will provide an easy method of doing alphablending in DirectGraphics, but DirectDraw will no longer be improved upon. Unfortunately, that means that anything that was planned for DirectDraw will not be done.

Does that clear it up a little? It''s not that Microsoft is going to release a version of DirectX that isn''t compatible with old versions, it is that they are no longer going to update the old DirectDraw interface.
I thought all the accelerated DirectDraw stuff was only there to support D3D, because D3D uses DD surfaces and the surfaces therefore need to have hardware accel capabilities.

And also, DirectDraw hasn''t been removed from DX8, it''s been merged with D3D to make DirectGraphics or something.

- Bill©
cyberben: No problem

About DX8: As jaxson said, DX like other libraries is COM, which means there''s full backwards compatibility, You can use all of the old DiretX interfaces even though the DX version is 7.0a (for example).
That''s the beauty of COM

The road to success is always under construction
Goblineye EntertainmentThe road to success is always under construction
I'm wondering how DX8 is going to affect the production of graphics accelerators. Does anyone know if new capabilities will have to be given to all hardware drivers? Or will DX8 most likely use all the same functions in different ways?

Edited by - Tom on August 31, 2000 9:52:12 AM

GDNet+. It's only $5 a month. You know you want it.

I was told to look through Microsoft''s Meltdown 2000 page.
Everything is in PowerPoint Presentations it appears. So I couldn''t look yet. Gotta switch machines.
But go look there! There''s a link in another thread entitled something like "DX8" With some symbols behind it (Like some sort of face or soemthing, don''t remember exactly!)

See ya,
Ben

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement