Health affecting Attributes

Started by
26 comments, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 7 months ago
Rather than upgrading attributes at the end of each level, why not have the health change the attributes. The more healthy you are the stronger, more dextile, mentally alert etc you become. How would this affect the gameplay of your average RPG? Your character goes into battle weilding madly but if you don''t fight well then your character suffers because of you. This would bring a lot more emphasis on the weapons and armour that a character has. In turn bringing a lot more emphasis to money in the game. So you would actually "value money more becuase your health affects your attributes". Interesting little formula/yes?! I love Game Design and it loves me back. Our Goal is "Fun"!
Advertisement
Deus Ex does this slightly, and I think Crusaders does it slightly as well, but not to the extent you are suggesting. The main limitation of that idea is the level lords will have to spend a bit more time balancing the level than they do now.
Why even have levels?

As you use skills (ie: fight, pick locks, lift weights)
you gradually increase your stats which are stored as
floating point. Then at any given time, ALL your stats
are modified by your current health. So if you have 100%
health, you move at 100% of your speed, can carry 100% of your
max weight, can do 100% of your able damage. This means normaly
invincible high level players *could* be defeated through
swarming.

----------
Erick: i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance
Disco Love For Everyone
----------"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_MiteyDisco Love For Everyone
quote:Original post by SpazBoy_the_Mitey

Why even have levels?

As you use skills (ie: fight, pick locks, lift weights)
you gradually increase your stats which are stored as
floating point. Then at any given time, ALL your stats
are modified by your current health. So if you have 100%
health, you move at 100% of your speed, can carry 100% of your
max weight, can do 100% of your able damage. This means normaly
invincible high level players *could* be defeated through
swarming.

----------
Erick: i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance
Disco Love For Everyone

I like that idea, we definity need a more dynamic attribute system. They should work more like an ecosystem i think. Just for the fun of it

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
I think you are describing a system that exist in *some* paper RPG. Basically, when your health get low, you start to suffer penalties. If you are wounded, your attributes are lowered accordingly. Since tests are all done absed on attributes, those modifications are VERY annoying, but "realistic" in a way. This makes you much MUCH more careful about going into a fight, as you couldn''t run away if your legs are damaged for instance.

e.g. a wound to the head disturb all intellectual actions and your ability to move around (confused). a wound to the arms would decrease your manual abilities, wounds at the legs slow you down, etc.

Of course this implies a good combat system, and damage location.

One thing I am really interested in :
If we go with the idea of permanent death, we should make it so that the players are more vulnerable, without making them always encounter potentially lethal situations (fights). So the idea is to take the health of the characters more seriously by introducing a bit more stuff, like hunger, thirst, deceases, and other annoying things that would make the players think more heavily about fragility, and hopefully makle them realise that if drinking from this water in a marsh can make you die from malaria, then certainly fighting a horde of goblins is NOT a good idea neither...
of course, this would also mean that health management should be a bit deeper than "gimme the extra healing potion" !

youpla :-P
-----------------------------Sancte Isidore ora pro nobis !
I can see it now: Gondorolo the Mighty Barbarian king slain
by the flu (he should have worn more than just wooly jocks).

But seriously, its a good idea. Make the user realize he can''t
afford to go on rampages, but if niggling details like that are
to taxing on the player, it stops being fun.

ie: make them eat once every hour or so, not every 10 min.

R.I.P. MeekRat the Thief. Killed by Scurvy (he forgot to eat
fruit)

----------
Disco Love For Everyone
----------"i think that all this talking and such is paining my head to astounding annoyance" - Erick"Quoting people in your tag is cool. Quoting yourself is even cooler" - SpazBoy_the_MiteyDisco Love For Everyone
In my current game, I have it so that damage is per body part. And if the player or NPCs' legs are damaged the movement rate is slower. I'll probably have the other body parts affected also.

Edited by - Nazrix on August 30, 2000 5:20:42 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Paul, what are you working on at the moment? What type of game and what features does it have? Thanks!

-------------------------------
That's just my 200 bucks' worth!

..-=gLaDiAtOr=-..
quote: By Gladiator
Paul, what are you working on at the moment? What type of game and what features does it have? Thanks!

Sorry, i should have been a little more specific in the thread title. RPG is the answer. I''m just bouncing ideas around

quote:By SpazBoy_the_Mitey
I can see it now: Gondorolo the Mighty Barbarian king slain
by the flu (he should have worn more than just wooly jocks).

Alexander the Great died from the flu.

But seriously, the issue is more about wear and tear rather than death. If a player gets greedy and they want to keep battling on then the risk of death keeps increasing. Naturally the character would be a little more resistant to damage then they would be in your average rpg as well, to balance out this system.

I love Game Design and it loves me back.

Our Goal is "Fun"!
Well, in the game I want to make, health will sort of be subsumed into something called ''mood''. If you spend a lot of time shot to heck, then you''re just not going to be very happy. Unhappiness has a negative effect on all your abilities. Which means that after a sound pummelling, your character will need to spend time not just healing, but taking some R&R to cheer himself up...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement