Yet one more NPC thread: NPC's Speech

Started by
7 comments, last by Nazrix 23 years, 7 months ago
I had what I think is kind of an interesting, simle idea. In a world that is kind of non-linear and wandering (like Daggerfall for instance) I was thinking that each NPC could have a list of things to say. Just little things like pieces of info and greetings. Then things could be added/deleted from the list (a link list would probably be used). Then when the NPC needed to say something he/she could refer to this list and pick out a random thing to say. The list could be different per NPC but things could be added to all NPCs if that's desired. They could also be given a priority of importance. This would be good if things happened in the world dynamically, and they could be added to the NPCs stuff to talk about. So, like if the player robbed that NPC last night that fact would be added into the NPCs stuff to talk about. Then the NPC may speak of it the player. What do you all think? "NPC's are people too!" --dwarfsoft "Nazrix is cool." --Nazrix first, then Darkmage Edited by - Nazrix on 8/31/00 3:40:00 PM
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Advertisement
Already in my RPG design...
Something like Ultima NPC...

-* So many things to do, so little time to spend. *-
You guys beat me to everything

I really need to check out the Ultima games...

"NPC's are people too!" --dwarfsoft

"Nazrix is cool." --Nazrix first, then Darkmage
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Good to see that nobody is forgetting the NPC''s... I think I may have to set up an institute (similar to the specular lightosis one) for lost NPC''s

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche

I agree

I will never forget NPCs. Especially since seeing the AI in Thief. It''s got me all charged up about NPCs.

quote:Original post by Nazrix

I will never forget NPCs. Especially since seeing the AI in Thief. It''s got me all charged up about NPCs.

"When are they gonna bring me my dinner, that''s what I want to know."

The Thief AI wasn''t all that intelligent, though... it just made a good atmosphere by lavishing detail on the the NPCs. I think just a little attention to detail, rather than complex scripting and hierarchies of needs and drives will give you a better payback in the short term. Simple things like giving someone 4 different lines to choose from for 1 situation rather than 1 can make them seem more real.

Yes, you make a very good point Kylotan. The AI in Thief IMO was very convincing but I doubt it was that complex. It was their attention to detail.

Like, yesterday when I was playing, a guard was walking down a hall and I made a noise. The guard walked to the doorway, and peeked in, didn't see me, he stood there a few moments, then he walked on. I really doubt that was extremely difficult to code, but it's very realistic.

Edited by - Nazrix on September 1, 2000 11:54:58 AM
The AI dialog in Half-Life was a bit like this. They''d mix and match phrases that would make it seem like NPCs were talking to each other. Unfortunately, the pool of spoken dialog was so small that detecting a pattern was pretty easy, and that quickly broke the immersiveness.

--------------------
Just waiting for the mothership...
--------------------Just waiting for the mothership...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement