True Mode13H in VC++?

Started by
13 comments, last by CMN 23 years, 7 months ago
Is it possible to switch to mode13h in VC++ without using direct draw? I mean doing it the old way with asm and INT 10H (or whatever the interruption is). When I try to do it with inline asm the only thing i get is a blue screen of death. /CMN
Advertisement
no. its not possible. why would you even want to? dont even think about it!
The reason why I would want to do it is that I want to impress my programming teacher at school with my graphics routines, and I don''t think DX7 is availiable on the computer there, that''s why.

/CMN
directx6.1 comes with win98, and anyone who is still running win95 these days doesn''t deserve to see your graphics routines...

but i think there is a way to install the required parts of directx using directsetup?
Simply use another compiler. You can do "real" mode13h in DJGPP.
I'm reminded of the day my daughter came in, looked over my shoulder at some Perl 4 code, and said, "What is that, swearing?" - Larry Wall
Wrong people. Use Console App and int 10H it. It worked fine for me, though I haven''t actually tried VC++ but it shouldn''t matter for a DOS/Console app...

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-
-Chris Bennett of Dwarfsoft
"The Philosophers' Stone of Programming Alchemy"
IOL (The list formerly known as NPCAI) - A GDNet production
Our Doc - The future of RPGs
Thanks to all the goblins over in our little Game Design Corner niche
Yeah, I tried to change the screen mode using asm and VC++6 but I got the blue screen of death. I use DirectX normally, but I thought it''d be fun to mess around with it some. Oh well.

----------------------------------------

I'm fat, you're ugly. I can lose weight.

------------------------------------

"We are the music makers, and the dreamers of the dreams."
- Willy Wonka
Using the correct DX define you can tell DX 7 to use DX 3, thus making the program run on almost any version of windows.
It''s not that I want to run the program at school, I want to code it there, and then I need the DX SDK, wich i don''t think will be availiable. But never mind, maybe there''s some old dos compiler in a dusty corner somehwere.
I don''t know if the VC compiler supports the function, but this is how you would do it:

Set_Video_Mode(int mode = VGA256){   union REGS inregs,outregs;   inregs.h.ah = 0;   inregs.h.al = (unsigned char)mode;   _int86(0x10, &inregs, &outregs);}    

=======================================
A man with no head is still a man.
A head with no man is plain freaky.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement