Good C++ Books

Started by
14 comments, last by Puzzler183 19 years, 10 months ago
what would be a good book for an extreme beginner in C++? i have a little experience in VB, and a little more in QBasic, but C++ still frightens me. so if anyone has any good suggestion for a beginners guide to C++, i would really appreciate it. thank you
Silence! I'm Psychoflexing...
Advertisement
I really liked Deitel and Deitel's C++ book, C++ How to Program. They present it in an easy to understand manner, and have plenty of samples and homework type problems
--------------------------<modena> - Comfortably Nub
For a beginners C++ book, I usually recommend Accelerated C++.

For other options you might want to check out our For Beginners or C++ book sections here on gamedev.
I second Accelerated C++, I used it and I still use it to go back and review when i forget or am hazy on a topic. also check the Virtually Online books section in my sig.

Eric Ranaldi a.k.a RanBlade

[size=1]"Passion is what drives you to stay up until 4am fixing that bug that hardly anyone would notice...

[size=1]Passion is where great games come from, if you dont live and breathe games you shouldn't be in the games industry."

[size=2]- Dave Pottinger, Ensemble Studios

[size=1][GameDev][C++ Page][Unity Game Engine][Panda3D Game Engine][NeHe Productions][Drunken Hyena][MSDN][Beej's Guide to Network Programming]

[size=1][FreedBSD][My Site][Gamasutra][Khan Acadamey]

Try Bruce Eckel's books. They are for free and quite good.
I learnt with this book. Everything is explained extremely well and there are exercises at the end of each chapter. Good Book.
I also like C++ Primer Plus...

also worth mentioning is that using multiple sources to learn can be beneficial as one author may explain things better or different than the next and you may find one explaination easier to understand than the previous one. Whether it's multiple books, or online sources... or a combination of both, don't limit yourself to just one source. But I'm sure everyone knew this already.... guess I'm just stating the obvious :)

L8R

[Edited by - s0ccaman on June 20, 2004 6:15:22 AM]
"An intelligent man speaks and then listens, a wise man listens and then speaks."
Schaum's Outlines Programming in C++

Brief and straightforward, and it's also good for beginners. Can be used as a quick reference :)
does anybody know anything about this book? it looks fairly good

http://www.course.com/catalog/product.cfm?category=Game%20Development&subcategory=Programming%20Techniques&isbn=1-59200-205-6
Silence! I'm Psychoflexing...
I just wanted to reply to that post up a few.

C++ Primer Plus by Stephen Prata is a HORRID book if you actually want to learn C++. The author basically codes a mix between C and C++ in a semi-bad style and throws it all at a C++ compiler. He also leaves out many core features of standard C++ and teaches some things badly.

I am thinking that you really meant C++ Primer by Stanley Lippman? as that book is probably THE best book tied with Bjarne's book "The C++ Programming Language".

I recommend Accelerated C++ to people that are just starting out, or for those that have experience in programming I recommend C++ Primer. The reason is that they teach very good style, and are completely standards compliant.. you aren't simply compiling C code in a C++ compiler using a couple of C++ features.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement