Problem ID3DXMesh

Started by
9 comments, last by Evil Steve 19 years, 10 months ago
Hi everybody, I'm having trouble using the ID3DXMesh object. I can create the object: TRIANGLE: D3DXCreateMeshFVF(1, 4, 0, D3DFVF, gpDevice, &gpMesh); SQUARE: D3DXCreateMeshFVF(2, 4, 0, D3DFVF, gpDevice, &gpMesh); and fill it with vertices and set the attribute and index buffers up fine. But this only works with a triangle. If I try to get a square to display using only 4 vertices, I set the vertex buffer up to this:

*pIndices = 3;
	++pIndices;
	*pIndices = 4;
	++pIndices;
	*pIndices = 1;
	++pIndices;
	*pIndices = 1;
	++pIndices;
	*pIndices = 2;
	++pIndices;
	*pIndices = 3;
When I do the triangle, it renders the first 3 indices *fine*. But if I switch to a square, it has a cry, and complains that 4 is an invalid index. The only thing i change is the face number, and I don't know what I'm doing wrong, so any help would be much appreciated.
I''m a signature virus, copy me into your signature and help me spread!
Advertisement
I'm not too familiar with indexed meshes, but perhaps using the range 0 to 3 rather than 1 to 4 would help.
Steele.
i already tried that...renders nothing
Can you show the code you use to create the vertices?

Thanks,
Chris
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005
Use a range 0-3 definitely. If nothing displays, try switching the cullmode or turning it off via SetRenderState.
[sub]My spoon is too big.[/sub]
ok... i have no culling on

CUSTOMVERTEX				gcVertices[]			=													{														{ -1.0f, 0.0f,  1.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, },	// |-														{ -1.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f, 0.0f, 1.0f, },	// |_														{  1.0f, 0.0f, -1.0f, 1.0f, 1.0f, },	// _|														{  1.0f, 0.0f,  1.0f, 1.0f, 0.0f, },	// -|														//{  0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, 0.0f, },													};// then later on	void*					pVertices;    	gpMesh->LockVertexBuffer(0, &pVertices);	memcpy(pVertices, gcVertices, sizeof(gcVertices));    	gpMesh->UnlockVertexBuffer();

I'll check back on using 0-3. I tried it before, but I'll try it again. I'll edit this post once I get VC++ working again.
I assume you are positioning the camera at an angle to the z axis or straight above it...right? And what RenderTarget said.

If no luck, can you display the code you used to make the triangle show up okay?

Chris
Don't worry, I solved the problem.

Yes, using 0-3 did work, but the first time I tried it it didn't work.

Anyway, a big thankyou to everybody who helped me, it was much appreciated.

- Kawahee
Final Problem
---------------------------------------------------------
When I go to release the mesh, it goes:

Unhandled exception at 0x77f75554 in engine.exe: User breakpoint.

which ends up being:

HeapFree(_crtheap, 0, pBlock);

I don't know what to do. Any ideas?

If I don't release the mesh the D3D debug systems seem to do it for me without error, but I know when I switch to release libs it won't.
Are you calling gpMesh->Release() and then immediately setting gpMesh to NULL? Both are required. It may not make sense at first, but my software would crash in strange places when I didn't have the NULL assignment after the Release. It wasn't that I was using the value elsewhere either like (if(gpMesh != NULL) then gpMesh->DoSomething());

Good luck,
Chris

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement