(Character by gameplay )

Started by
3 comments, last by Ketchaval 23 years, 7 months ago
Just copied my post here from the game design forum, incase you don''t browse there as well. -------------------------------------------------------------- One thing which strikes me is that there is a whole range of character development and definition that can be opened up in NPCs. This would be done by making them "play" in a way which is both part of their personality and which reflects it. This behaviour would be so consistent that you would know it was "Jenny" or "Garrett" even if it used vector graphics to display them, and had no sound. Ie. their personality shines through in their behaviour, and their behaviour shines through in their personality. This could probably be done by combining artificial Intelligence routines with a statistics system. (But I''m not a programmer). For instance, there is Dave a footballer who is good at defending but when attacking he becomes cocky and tries to show off, by holding onto the ball for too long and doing some Trick moves (has a higher likelihood of trying to pass through between the opponents legs). Thus just by watching this character''s BEHAVIOUR, you would know that it was him EVEN if you couldn''t see him. As opposed to Darren, the insecure midfielder, who passes as soon as possible, but will take a shot at goal if an opening appears. Or Helen Maigret, who is more susceptible to Psychic attack than anyone else on the team. But is prone to kicking alien (** with a machine gun....
Advertisement
Hmmm. Look into the two FPS threads I started in the design forum, and tell me if you don''t think I could use something like this?
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Sorry, Landfish. What are the threads called.. ?

---------------------------------

TO REPLY IN THE ORIGINAL THREAD THE LINK IS

http://www.gamedev.net/community/forums/topic.asp?topic_id=25358&forum_id=17&Topic_Title=Character+by+gameplay&forum_title=Game+Design&M=False&S=True

Edited by - Ketchaval on September 12, 2000 9:35:46 PM
Perspective in FPS and FPS Appearance(s?)
======"The unexamined life is not worth living."-Socrates"Question everything. Especially Landfish."-Matt
Um, what aspects did you wish to discuss ?

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement