Young Game Programmer need HELP

Started by
15 comments, last by Mithoric 19 years, 9 months ago
Can any1 help me, i am teaching myself how to game program in visual c++ does any1 have suggestion on books so I can teach myself. Or any othere advice about writing computer games And any good books for 3D Max
Advertisement
Well, first things first - how much experience do you have with c/c++? If its very little or you're trying to "self teach" - I highly recommend starting smaller. There are several environments that are based on much, much easier learning languages, some of them are even 3d and will let you use your max models.
-- Single player is masturbation.
Try Darkbasic www.darkbasic.com. It is a very easy language to learn.
I wanna make a game.
Quote:Original post by Adam14
Try Darkbasic www.darkbasic.com. It is a very easy language to learn.

It's also a bit costly. I honestly think you shouldn't have to pay for a language.
I started with C++. It is the best language. My advice is to self-teach yourself, but if you have some questions, come here or ask a professor or something. It's not hard if you are dedicated.
Good luck with that, learning c++ will not be easy, I taught myself, and its really starting to pay off now my recent terrain demo is pretty sweet( i think) http://www.geocities.com/ademan420/LitTerrain.zip but for a while you'll be doing console (essentially DOS) programs, which you will probably find boring, but eventually youll get past it and do stuff like what i did, and even better, and then youll know why you wrote hello world. i would think this would be a pretty good tutorial to start you off http://www.cplusplus.com/doc/tutorial/

now, do you actually have visual c++? if not youll need to get urself a compiler (technically its a compiler an an IDE): http://www.bloodshed.net/devcpp.html
good luck, and dont be afraid to ask around when u need help
-Dan
When General Patton died after World War 2 he went to the gates of Heaven to talk to St. Peter. The first thing he asked is if there were any Marines in heaven. St. Peter told him no, Marines are too rowdy for heaven. He then asked why Patton wanted to know. Patton told him he was sick of the Marines overshadowing the Army because they did more with less and were all hard-core sons of bitches. St. Peter reassured him there were no Marines so Patton went into Heaven. As he was checking out his new home he rounded a corner and saw someone in Marine Dress Blues. He ran back to St. Peter and yelled "You lied to me! There are Marines in heaven!" St. Peter said "Who him? That's just God. He wishes he were a Marine."
I am a beginning programmer also but here's my two cents. What type of game programming do you want to do? For strategy games Isometric Game Programming with DirectX 7.0 is very good and really helped me pick up C++ (although I had had a little experience with it before). It has an index that says how to compile the sample programs. Of course the LaMothe books are good also.
Quote:Original post by Trebor
I am a beginning programmer also but here's my two cents. What type of game programming do you want to do? For strategy games Isometric Game Programming with DirectX 7.0 is very good and really helped me pick up C++ (although I had had a little experience with it before). It has an index that says how to compile the sample programs. Of course the LaMothe books are good also.

What worked for you might not work for others. I wouldn't buy a book on the DirectX API just for the C/C++ primer in it.
thanks so much for your help, i have got visual c++
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I started with C++. It is the best language.

It's probably the most popular language. Best is a bad word to use to describe anything.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement