An Opening Thread: Which Lib do you use?

Started by
45 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 10 months ago
Allegro was the first graphics API I used way back when it was pretty much DOS only. I've developed strange, and probably unhealthy, psychological attachment to it. I'm a huge supporter, even if SDL is better. But you didn't hear that from me.

Silly SDL. You can't even draw a line without needing additional libraries.
Chess is played by three people. Two people play the game; the third provides moral support for the pawns. The object of the game is to kill your opponent by flinging captured pieces at his head. Since the only piece that can be killed is a pawn, the two armies agree to meet in a pawn-infested area (or even a pawn shop) and kill as many pawns as possible in the crossfire. If the game goes on for an hour, one player may legally attempt to gouge out the other player's eyes with his King.
Advertisement
SDL :)
SpiderMonkey.

GLUT.

Guile.

gmp.
CoV
DevLib :

http://www.devlib-central.org/
I use:
boostto augment the STL
libphysfsfor cross-platform file access
GLFW as a replacement for SDL
Problems with Windows? Reboot! - Problems with Linux? Be root!
OpenGL on top of GLFW for graphics and I/O (I really recommend GLFW (glfw.sourceforge.net). It is somewhat less mature than SDL but does almost everything SDL does in a very clean way. It's documentation is also awesome.)

I use some parts of boost, mostly simple convenience things like filesystem, lexical_cast and noncopyable - the weird template interface of the more complex boost components scares me.

TrueType 2 for converting true type fonts to my internal font texture format.
I'm using SDL to write a tactical RPG.
Using allegro and allegroGL. All rendering is done in opengl, sound and graphics loading done with allegro. I'm making an RTS game right now.
---Current project: Warring States, an RTS gamehttp://warring-states.blogspot.com/
Quote:Original post by pjcast
PTypes (for threading)

I started using PTypes a while back for its networking and threading but I've switched to boost for threading instead and i've not done any network coding for some time now
Quote:Original post by _the_phantom_
Quote:Original post by pjcast
PTypes (for threading)

I started using PTypes a while back for its networking and threading but I've switched to boost for threading instead and i've not done any network coding for some time now

I may convert to boost one of these days. ;)

Do you think boost has better crossplatform threading? Cause that I really use PTypes for.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement