engine now slow using "Opengl Game Programming"

Started by
4 comments, last by PinguinDude 19 years, 9 months ago
I've split my terrain into lots of tiles. I have 16 enemy aircraft (very low polygon - we're talkign two cylinders and 12 triangles each). Each object is tested to see if it's in the frustrum before drawing. Using VAs. FPS was about 30. I added 8 rocket launchers (cubes with 4 cylinders each-the cube part is in a display list). FPS has now dropped to 2 !! There's basically nothing additional going on at all - the launchers (objects) have been added to the terrain and are therefore part of the tree that gets traversed OnDraw etc. Why has it slowed up ? I've been through the code and removed everything that's redundant - there's virtually nothing to it.
Advertisement
the only real way to test what's going on is to run a profile build and find out what the bottlenecks are for your engine. search around in the forums for suggestions on a profiling tool to use (i'd tell you, but i forget the name of the app i used to use at home).

-me
my suggestion would be to use either vertex arrays or call lists
Cartman's definition of sexual harrasement:"When you are trying to have intercourse with a lady friend, and some other guy comes up and tickles your balls from behind"(watch South Park, it rocks)
more... I've now commented out anything to do with drawing the launchers - I don't even do the frustrum check.

still FPS=2

What CPU and graphics card?

With most modern systems, FPS of 2 = OpenGL's Bad Software Rendering Mode. It could be something else entirely that's forced the system into software.
SlimDX | Ventspace Blog | Twitter | Diverse teams make better games. I am currently hiring capable C++ engine developers in Baltimore, MD.
Did you install your video card's drivers. If you have windows xp or any other os it could be that those drivers suck.
http://sourceforge.net/projects/pingux/ <-- you know you wanna see my 2D Engine which supports DirectX and OpenGL or insert your renderer here :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement