SDL Tutorials and Documentation

Started by
9 comments, last by shade13 19 years, 9 months ago
I have read the cone3d tutorials, and the API documentation, and the other various tutorials available on Gamedev. I have learned much from them, but they seem to... lack something. I don't know. The library is fairly self explanitory, but still. I mean, there is NOTHING on the multithreading capabilities, SDL_Net looks great, but again, there is NOTHING! Now, I got alot of spare time on my hands, and I have been using SDL since I got fedup with DirectX. I would be happy to do some tutorials on advanced topics, if someone would tell me what they wanted to know. I'm not a guru, i don't even know how to use the sound system, but I have a good writing style and I can pick up something new fairly quick. I think some good ideas for advanced tutorials would be again, the threading, sound, surface creation and deletion, setting up openGL, an indepth explination of the messaging system, and so on. If I write a good one, perhaps they could be hosted here? Just some ideas, SDL is a great API that would be taken alot more seriously if it had some better documentation and tutorials. You don't need DirectX to make a professional game.
HxRender | Cornerstone SDL TutorialsCurrently picking on: Hedos, Programmer One
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by PnP Bios
I think some good ideas for advanced tutorials would be again, the threading,
SDL uses a very basic threading API. Any tutorial on threading for C will do.
Quote:sound,
Never done sound with SDL yet, but SDL_mixer might be worth looking at.
Quote:surface creation and deletion,
Pretty much everything is using SDL_img and IMG_Load to create the brand new surface, and then bliting it to the screen. Deleting should be self-explanatory.
Quote:setting up openGL,
look at a NeHe tutorial, ported to SDL. Basically, Create the window with the gl flag, and BAM GL is set up for oyu.
Quote: an indepth explination of the messaging system, and so on.
Look at the docs. Just switch based on message type, then go into the special struct for that type of message, and retrieve whatever information you want, then act on it. You can also do custom messages, easily. The Docs will tell you everything.
Again, this isn't for my own knowledge. From what I can see, cone3d is dead, and there has been nothing since. The chatbox text has been the same for like the last 5 months. A site setup more like NeonHelium would be better, like with fresh content and indepth tutorials.

I'm just saying that I could write the tutorials, if people wanted me to.
It would be nice to have something to link to when I write the FAQ. [smile] Allegro has some pretty vast resources when it comes to example programs and tutorials, so I'm covered there. I'll probably make a call out for links when I write the FAQ, if only to link to the FAQ's of the more prominent libs that are on-topic here.

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

I would like SDL tutorials, that could be understood by a 2 yr old =)
I wanna make a game.

I'd like to see a site (and forums) for SDL similar to Allegro.cc. This would give me more chance of successfully using SDL in the future if required. One of the benefits I have at the moment with using Allegro is not only the library itself, but the information and help on the allegro forums.

It would be nice to see this for SDL too.
Judging from the response, I understand it that I should go ahead and write some tutorials. I can't build a page worth crap, though. If somebody would build the page, I could provide the content. I could help update the page.

what happened to cone3d anyways?

Time to get cracking on number 1!
Can't you just start a series of articles on learning SDL and submit them to Dave? [wink]

Jesus saves ... the rest of you take 2d4 fire damage.

That would work too. PM me with some more details. I want to leave this thread for suggestions on specific topics, not approaching the almighty dave.
If you still want a website for your tutorials also, I'd be happy to put something together for you. Let me know.

Andy

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement