New Book

Started by
16 comments, last by meo_con 19 years, 10 months ago
I am 100% new at this but I want to start making my own games. I read the articles at this site and they are great. But I am still not sure which book to start at. Any suggestions? (keep in mind I'm new at this)
Advertisement
New at game programming or programming in general? What languages are you using or interested in? Any api's?

Did you check these out?
If a plant cannot live according to its nature, it dies; so a man.
I kinda want to go with Java...I'm not to sure yet.

And yes I looked at those.
Quote:Original post by Newb3654
I kinda want to go with Java...I'm not to sure yet.

Hmmm, if you're not even sure what language perhaps you should stick to some net tutorials etc. for now. It's not worth the inevitable and typical 40-60+usd for most books when you haven't made up your mind in that regard yet. You'll see a lot of bias-ed accounts everywhere about which language is the "best", but nothing beats trying out at least quick tutorials on a few of the languages you've read about. Ultimately, it's up to you to decide which one you want to start with, and what your goals are, both immediate and in the future. If you make those clear I'm sure some recommendations will be more easily made.
Well, a friend of mine lend me this book that is suggested in the article "tricks of the windows game programming gurus" but I dont have the cd-rom that is suppose to go with it. Should I still read the book or is there a way I download the cd-rom contents?
erh.. can some one tell me where to download the Microsoft Visual C++ 6 as i am really a starter on this and i try go to the microsoft site but i am not sure which to download so can youn give some direct link to it ?
Looking FOr Helpmindfusion.ixforums.com
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Well, a friend of mine lend me this book that is suggested in the article "tricks of the windows game programming gurus" but I dont have the cd-rom that is suppose to go with it. Should I still read the book or is there a way I download the cd-rom contents?

So you have TOTWGPG or a book suggested in it? What book exactly?
Either way, a good book should work without the cd, as it should clearly demonstrate the examples in the pages. The cd is really helpful though, as nothing beats tinkering with the program itself. You could probably substitute code dealing with any given topic in the book with code found on net tutorials. That is, if the entire code listing isn't printed in the book anyway.
Quote:Original post by henchster
erh.. can some one tell me where to download the Microsoft Visual C++ 6 as i am really a starter on this and i try go to the microsoft site but i am not sure which to download so can youn give some direct link to it ?
I don't think that you can download it without buying it.

This C++ IDE is 100% free to download.
You cannot download MSVC++ 6.0. You can download Dev-C++
oh ok thank for telling me that

so you mean that only that can be downloadable
Looking FOr Helpmindfusion.ixforums.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement