Original Post
Hi, I'm trying to understand how can a BRDF return values greater than 1? Most papers I read on this topic mention that BRDF is not bounded by the range 0...1. I mean, if the BRDF can return values greater than one, we can have a situation where the intensity of outgoing light will be GREATER than the intensity of the incoming light -- against the energy conservation law. We calculate the intensity of the outgoing light (Lo) by modulating the intensity of the incoming light (Li), and a cosine of the angle between the surface normal and the incoming vector (theta): Lo = BRDF(...) * Li * Cos(theta) If BRDF in the equation above is greater than 1, as papers on BRDF often mention, Lo can be greater than Li!! Please help -- how can a BRDF be energy-conserving if it is not bounded by 0...1 range? Thank you, Vladimir.