Quality of code is getting lower and lower?

Started by
81 comments, last by Raloth 19 years, 9 months ago
Gotos are for Weenies. Real Men use continuations.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
Advertisement
The only entertaining thing in this entire thread was Lode's reply on the first page. I read the rest hoping the conversation might drift back to it, but alas.

It's even more stupid when you consider the OP specifically said he was using C++ and so Rapurv's whole "BUT WHAT IF I'M USING C??" was even more pointless and thus I can only assume it was designed to drag the thread in the direction it took.
[size=2]
Quote:Original post by Promit
Java is a very crippled, forced OOP.

I think the power of C++ comes from the ability to freely mix C style procedural coding with the extremely powerful abilities OO gives you to achieve what you want to do. The only good reason I've ever come up with for sticking with C instead of procedural C++ is that g++ is a slow compiler.

P.S. This thread sucks.

Your opinion was noted. Your second opinion was noted as well.

"do you think it's truth that the quality of the code is getting worst and worst by time?"

It could be even problem with schools. Teachers, that I met, wasn't skilled enough, or didn't have enough time/will to teach everything necessary. The problem is also with the school system. If government officials set a some minimal demands on the qualification of student, student is forced to learn that stupidity that would be completely unnecessary for his live. (Or worse, he would have wrong/outdated "abilities".)
Also people that works just on one part of code and never on the full source are worse programmers. The same apply on people that works just on a String manipulations.

Lots of people went into the computer industry just for money. It doesn't look like computer industry could work well just with profit makers. It needs a few enthusiastic persons as well. Basically computer industry is in some measures on decline. Hardware needs more and more power, and people aren't as likely to buy a new components. (Hardware is climbing a Moore curve it might be after that nice part, or it would be just a temporally problem that would repeat itself more strongly. Result would be more expensive hardware, perhaps with avalanche effect. Office computers would however prevent the worst.) The same apply on the software. Games aren't as much affected by this, the market isn't filled by ONE game as easily.

Current problem of the PS3 is the lack of HDTVs. This means a significantly higher cost, and necessity of support an old TV.
Problem with games is also high HW costs. It might turn in the near future to be a big problem.

Don't forget that Moore law talks about transistor doubling. This doesn't necessary translate into the speed doubling. (But I think that CPU manufacturers would use more CPU ratings just to hide this fact.)
Here is some link.
http://arstechnica.com/paedia/m/moore/moore-1.html
Wow I drifted fast, it's more for a separate thread, but I will not have time in next week so...

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement