🎉 Celebrating 25 Years of GameDev.net! 🎉

Not many can claim 25 years on the Internet! Join us in celebrating this milestone. Learn more about our history, and thank you for being a part of our community!

Power from Gravity

Started by
117 comments, last by Jiia 19 years, 10 months ago
For this post, forever is defined to be a long time :)

Facts:
CBR (Cosmic Backround Radiation) should last forever,
Superconducters carry currents forever
If a radio wave at the correct frequency hits a superconducter, it is contained forever.

Conclusion:
You make a torroid shaped superconducter, with the right circumfrance so that it absorbes CBR.

You cool it down until it is supercunducting in a ceramic shell (so that the CBR can radiate freely into the superconducter).

you leave it untouched for a long time,

When you come back, you should find the nodes and antinodes.

From that, you attach one probe to the strongest node, and another to the strongest antinode, you then should have a current flow between the two probes!

You now have a power source that will give you power FOR FOREVER(it just gives it to you, a nanowatt at a time!).

please find something wrong with this argument,
DENC
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Advertisement
I would guess that the attachment of wires directly to the points of node and antinode drastically change the resonant frequency of the superconductor and basically ruin it for that frequency of CBR

and why not just go with solar power? more power, and for practical purposes last just as long (practical being defined as, as long as you're alive to care about it)
1. you only add wires when you need the power, you remove them once you've finished (it should give you one big pulse of power).

2. Give me a solar cell that will give me power for a few hundred years?

3. you can also use the superconducter as an RF capacitor (charge it by giving it RF energy, discharge it by useing the nodes/antinodes probes).

DENC
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
Ok, I was bored, so I made a little perpetuum mobile simulator;-). Looks like crap, but it should be reasonably realistic.
"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray
as i understand,superconductor ring will not accamulate power.Power can't be accamulated as flow in the ring because magnetic flux in ring are constant.Also,power can't be accamulated in oscilations because ring will emmit energy back.
Folks,

Since this is a forum that should be focused on physics as it relates to game development, why don't you shift the subject.

Please come up with some ideas about how to apply some of these thoughts to a game, and discuss those instead of pure physics, :).
Graham Rhodes Moderator, Math & Physics forum @ gamedev.net
LNK2001's little simulator was sorta game-ish related. And was cool too! I like little projects like that. Was it fun to make? Were ya bored? [Edit - I just noticed that you already answered that. Silly me.] I'm bored... ...and am at work... [depressed]

Did you have some physics stuff already written for that? 'Cause it looks quite nice. They bounce a bit at 90 degrees and everything. I'm impressed.
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
as i understand,superconductor ring will not accamulate power.Power can't be accamulated as flow in the ring because magnetic flux in ring are constant.Also,power can't be accamulated in oscilations because ring will emmit energy back.

actually the magnetic flux will be changing in time because the ring is being subjected to an alternating currrent.
Quote: Original post by Agony
LNK2001's little simulator was sorta game-ish related. And was cool too! I like little projects like that. Was it fun to make? Were ya bored? [Edit - I just noticed that you already answered that. Silly me.] I'm bored... ...and am at work... [depressed]

Did you have some physics stuff already written for that? 'Cause it looks quite nice. They bounce a bit at 90 degrees and everything. I'm impressed.

Thanks, it's fun to make a simulation of a device that never worked;-). Each arm is treated as a pendula with the swinging motion restricted to 90 degrees. When is swings outside that, the angular velocity is reversed (it bounces). The center of gravity determines which way the wheel accelerates. There's a little damping and a little friction to make it more realistic. Here's the source, but it's kind of messy.
"-1 x -1 = +1 is stupid and evil."-- Gene Ray
A shift towards modelling some of these silly machines you're proposing could be a good idea. There's no need to build a version without friction if you can just let a computer handle it. Not that there's any point of course. :)

Anyway I think that if Homer can understand the principles of thermodynamics then so should you!

http://www.matthewbarr.co.uk/sounds/house_laws.wav

This whole idea of anything's possible if you put enough effort into it is really quite annoying. Thinking outside the box is very good, but some people seem to venture so far out they can no longer see the box.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement