polygon count

Started by
2 comments, last by BrianH 23 years, 7 months ago
Hello, Can anyone give me a ballpark figure for how many polygons can be rendered at 30+ fps on todays average hardware? I want to provide our artist with an estimate so that we can plan how complex to make our models. We will be using textured models, possibly with environment mapping. There will be animated and static models. thanks, BrianH
Advertisement
Someone should put this in the FAQ its been asked so often. About 20k - 50k per frame? I never remember what people say.

I wanrned you! Didn't I warn you?! That colored chalk was forged by Lucifer himself!
"... we should have such an empire for liberty as she has never surveyed since the creation ..."Thomas Jefferson
If you are using direcX expect to do about 4000+ if your 3d engine can really cut it, and if you optimise the crap out of it.

There are a number of factors to take into account.

You render objects by state then polygons (triangles)

By state I mean (to simplify) texture.

Generally you want to to draw polygons with the same texture together. Changing state uses GPU bandwidth.

Just to make things complicated, 3DFX cards have no state change penalties to talk of.

Oh, did I mention that if you feed 40K polygons in one time to the GFX card its going to create a bottle neck that makes bleeding constipation seem like a sexual fantasy.

I won''t even mention back culling.

Bottom line, the engine is as fast as you make it.

25MHz 486SX with Virge S2 - 10K polygons - about a day and a half for one frame

12 Cray MP2s - 10K polygons - instant while juggling chainsaws with both hands tied behind its back.

You get the idea

D.V.

--------------------------
Carpe Diem
D.V.Carpe Diem

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement