Visual Studio questions

Started by
8 comments, last by Etnu 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi, I have been using *nix based systems for the past few years and want to move some of my work over to Windows. 1) I have "Microsoft Development Environment 2002 7.0.9466" installed but am having some issues getting code to compile, specifically large numbers of template classes. As far as I can tell, this is an issue with VC++ and there has been a big improvement with VC++ Toolkit .NET 2003 (version 1.01, which is also VC++ version 7.1.something??), which I can download from MS, who claim it works 'alongside' Visual Studio. Can I download this, install it and use it within my current installation of Visual Studio? Am I going to have to buy the lastest VS to get the benefits of the IDE and compiler? 2) (General Question) What is going on with .dll .lib (and .def) files? I appear to be building against .lib and running with a .dll? Sorry if these are really obvious, finding clear explanations feels a bit like swimming in porridge and I am feeling a little disorientated.
Advertisement
1) Considering you already have VS 7.0 (a.k.a 2002), you can try and download the VS 7.1 (a.k.a 2003 toolkit). I assume it will work (I have 2003 so I haven't tried). Playing witht the path settings in the IDE (and possibly environment variables) may do the trick without overwriting the 2002 stuff (look at the IDE's command line options, there may be things you can toggle there) .

2) In windows, you don't directly link to dynamic libraries (.dll). You link against import libraries (.lib). Part of the confusion comes from the fact that there are two types of .lib files, actual static libraries containing code, and import libraries that just forward to the DLL. You can generally tell the difference from the size alone [smile]
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
I have a question too: how do I give typedef's and my own datatypes color, in VS.NET2003?

User's Keywords doesn't work for me.
Quote:Original post by Pipo DeClown
I have a question too: how do I give typedef's and my own datatypes color, in VS.NET2003?

I don't know, I use Visual Assist.
"Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it." — Brian W. Kernighan
in VS6 usertypes.dat in the vs\vc\bin\ dir or something ( search this file name out in the help files... sry )

you would define your datatype names in this file... and then
the usertypes option for formating changes the color of the
names listed in the document.
Quote:Original post by Fruny
I don't know, I use Visual Assist.

As do I. If you can afford it Pipo, it's great. Try it out free for 30 days here.
Minister of Propaganda : leighstringer.com : Nobody likes the man who brings bad news - Sophocles (496 BC - 406 BC), Antigone
Thanks Fruny

1) Appears to be working by inserting the appropriate paths through Tools | Options | Projects | VC++ Directories

2) "there are two types of .lib files"

OOOOOOOoooooooooooooooo......plink!
The penny drops.

This doesn't work for you?
my_life:          nop          jmp my_life
[ Keep track of your TDD cycle using "The Death Star" ] [ Verge Video Editor Support Forums ] [ Principles of Verg-o-nomics ] [ "t00t-orials" ]
Quote:Original post by Verg

This doesn't work for you?

Dude, I don't want to add every class/struct I wrote in a txtfile. I'm talking about the automatic thingee. I guess Visual Assist offers that.. Hmm..
Thanks anyway. It's here too.
Quote:Original post by KennithTheMenith

1) I have "Microsoft Development Environment 2002 7.0.9466" installed but am having some issues getting code to compile, specifically large numbers of template classes. As far as I can tell, this is an issue with VC++ and there has been a big improvement with VC++ Toolkit .NET 2003 (version 1.01, which is also VC++ version 7.1.something??), which I can download from MS, who claim it works 'alongside' Visual Studio. Can I download this, install it and use it within my current installation of Visual Studio? Am I going to have to buy the lastest VS to get the benefits of the IDE and compiler?

Just overwrite cl.exe and link.exe in your vc7 folder with the new compiler / linker. It works flawlessly, but the new command line switches for optimization, like /G7 and /arch:SSE require manually entering on the "advanced" line of the properties dialog.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement