The design of my 2d game

Started by
1 comment, last by Omar Alvi 19 years, 8 months ago
Hello people, I have made a 2d side scrolling game a mario clone to be exact. I wanted to dicuss some issues related to the design. I want to know how proffessional games do it. Well as this was my first game, so when i started i didnt have much insight on how i will manage aniamtions etc and other stuff. So i made my editor very simple you can only make the non-interactable tiles with it. I made the editor just because i didnt want to manually type in the location of all the tiles in the background. So that was the basic idea behind it.... Then i started with my game engine. Thought about all the objects, and there categories. And then about how i will manage interactions etc. Evantually i made the game ahh its almost done.....but now i realise that instead of getting down to the engine and think about all the details there i mean reagarding managing objects and there animations and paths etc...all should should be done when u are making the editor that makes your engine more flexible i guess. I mean it will allow you to make a generic map editor and engine i guess. Otherwise if u directly go on to the engine and think about the things there then i guess you cannot make your engine and editor generic .... and you are not able to make other games of the same category using emm without making to much changes to the code. The whole point of writing this all this to know the correct approach. My thoughts after making the game are that one should think of all things when makeing the editor and since the engine and editor overlap in there structure making a generic editor would also allow you to make a generic engine....whats your opnion. Sepically people who have done 2d engines before ????
Advertisement
In my own experience, you have to decide on all the elements of your game beforehand. That is, how your animations work, background tiles, etc.

Then you can program them into your editor, and perhaps have a scripting element too.

When you're making the game, it's going to feel like you're waisting your time with the editor that you could be spending on the actual engine. But in the long run you save so much effort being able to create the worlds in the same environment in which the game runs.

If want to do it really well, have an over program that switches beteen the editor and game. So that, as you design the game, you can play an area, and go right back into the editor to change any errors. It really streamlines the whole process.

But there are quesitons you need to ask first. Is the world going to be big enough to warrant the contsruction of an editor? Will you be able to recycle this code and maybe even editor in future games?

The better you design the editor, the easier making levels, etc. in the game will be, but also the longer you'll be spending on something that the end user never sees.

If you're like me, and don't tend to finish a game before moving onto the next, an overly specialized editor may be a waste. But I think a well constructed, over-generalized editor that can work on a multitude of future projects is a good time-investment.
[size=2]Darwinbots - [size=2]Artificial life simulation
Hmm well maybe i can get away with a normal editor but i guess the game companies require a very powerful editor. Cause you dont want to go in the engine each time to put new objects etc..put new enemies perhaps.....so game editor can make this thing easy if its powerful enough. Also i think a good editor can help u make games of the similar catergory. So i guess its a good time investemnt for game companies but as far as a personal project is concerned you can do so with a simple one...Now talking about my game and editor (a super mario clone) if i plan now to make a Alaadin .... i will have to make a lot of changes to my engine... i think had i build my editor to be flexible my engine would have evolved around that editor and would aslo had been flexible. Arrggg donno really whats the right thing to do.............only proffesional game developers can tell i dont have much expericnce right now so dont know..

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement