Tangent Space Vectors [T B N]

Started by
3 comments, last by dimensionX 19 years, 9 months ago
Hi, I am trying to implement Cubic Environment Map Bump Mapping for the Utah teapot. The teapot data consists of 32 bezier patches. I had evaluated these bezier patches and calculated the vertices (x, y, z) and their corresponding texture coordinates (s, t). Given 4 vertices and their texture coordinates how to compute the Tangent space (Tangent, Binormal and Normal) at each vertex. All the methods that I found on the internet describe the scheme for triangles. I think I can use the same method but I just want to make sure if that is correct. All comments would be of help! Thanks!
Advertisement
Hi,

Was my question stupid ? or everybody just sneaked with the triangles ?

Need some feedback please!

Thanks!
Well, if you have a mathematical representation of the surface, you can calculate the bitangent and tangent vectors directly. If you don't, then you can calculate them from the tesselated vertices - you must have a list of triangles to render them - so the methods relating to calculating it for triangles is valid.
If at first you don't succeed, redefine success.
You should definitely be able to compute this directly from the patch information, since the Bezier patch is a smooth 2D manifold that is at least C2.

Cheers,

Timkin
Hi Timkin,

Lets say we have 4 vertices and their texture coordinates of a quad (no Bezier or anything). How to find the TBN for this quad ?

Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement