[.net] c++.net

Started by
13 comments, last by sdlprorammer 19 years, 8 months ago
The reason for Managed C++ is so that you can take your existing C++ code and convert it to the .NET platform very quickly. This lets you use the features of the .NET framework immediatly, without re-writing everything in C#.

If you're not porting existing C++ to the .NET framework, then program with C# (if you have a compiler available).

If you're not using .NET framwork features, then use unmanaged C++.

Microsoft Visual C++ .NET will compile both unmanaged an managed C++ (what you refer to in your post as C++ and C++.NET respectivly).
Advertisement
Quote:The reason for Managed C++ is so that you can take your existing C++ code and convert it to the .NET platform very quickly.

I totally concur with Andrew and just want to add that MC++ is the fastest way to interoperate between managed and unmanaged code -- much faster than P/Invoke and COM interop.

Put it another way: Let's say you have an existing code base, let's call it DirectX for the sake of argument, and you want to make it available to C#, VB.Net, and other managed programmers. Which language should you choose for the interface layer? Managed C++.

(Unless you want to run on Mono... [grin].)
Donavon KeithleyNo, Inky Death Vole!
i think i get it. managed programming in .NET works in C#, VB and C++ and all the other languages of Visual Studio.. something like that?
Something like that.

You can basicly compile anyting to MSIL (Microsoft Intermediate Language) bytecode that runs on the .NET framwork (like how Java compiles to bytecode that runs in the Java Runtime Environment).

Microsoft have simply chosen to provide compilers that output MSIL for all the languages that they support. This is good because it means that VB, C#, C++, etc can all interoperate.

Other languages can also compile to MSIL. I know that there is a Python.NET project somewhere.
ok thanks a bunch!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement