BSP map editor

Started by
2 comments, last by Etnu 19 years, 8 months ago
Ok, I'm done with the real time shadow engine like doom3, but now I need a map editor :S Because for now I'm just loading model from 3ds file representing the map... Its for a indoor game, of course. Ok so. What way will be the best for the map editor : Like QuakeI, II, III, Doom3 : Making room with box all around forming the room, and then delete faces during bsp building. or like Unreal, Unreal2 Substracting/adding the brushes directly from the world thanks for opinions.
Advertisement
Unreal-style (CSG) world creation makes things a bit easier because it makes it impossible to have gaps -- you save a lot of compilation time, because you don't have to check for it.

The downside to this is that it's EXTREMELY hard to do right. I've been working on my CSG editor for the better part of the last 2 months, and I still get strange things.

One other drawback with the CSG approach is the huge number of polygons it can create (unless, of course, you have a good polygon defragmentation routine).

Ultimately, though, I think the CSG approach works best for many reasons.

I'd say you should probably do whatever works best for you.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

hum.. my engine is real time shadow. So I have to minimize the number of surfaces to the maximum..
But I think CSG will be the best when creating map.
Oh, you're not likely to generate enough faces in a CSG editor to pose a serious issue for shadowing. Hell, models being made in professional 3d packages are pushing 10k polys, and games are using those for shadows (yikes!)

Unless you're doing something silly, like generating one big shadow for your whole level, you'll be fine with CSG.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement