What is a base pixel color of a texture?

Started by
2 comments, last by strahan 19 years, 8 months ago
When reading a DirectX tutorial it states: "...for the second unit texture I load one that has a base pixel colour 127,127,127" What are they referring to when they say "base pixel colour". Is this the background color of the texture? If not, how do I set it and what picture editing tools allow me to set the base pixel colour? (does the SDK dxtex.exe tool do it?) Thanks in advanced!!
Advertisement
I'm pretty sure that the word "base" has nothing to do with DirectX, and that they simply mean that the image typically just contains the gray color (127,127,127), and values above that represent something positive, and values below that represents something negative. What was the general context of how they were using that image in the tutorial?
"We should have a great fewer disputes in the world if words were taken for what they are, the signs of our ideas only, and not for things themselves." - John Locke
Agreed, also what are you using, DD or D3D?

Chris
Chris ByersMicrosoft DirectX MVP - 2005
Thanks for the responses. I am using D3D.

Here are the exact words (this has to do with blending textures on the terrain):

"In my detail texturing, what you do is either set it for one pass multitexturing (using 2 texture units), and for the second unit texture I load one that has a base pixel colour 127,127,127. This is opposed to having a regular texture base pixel colour as 0,0,0. Now, any pixel colour that falls below 127 will darken the base texture, and any pixel above will lighten it. This is achieved through the texture colour op ADDSIGNED. The key is to make the repeat count for the base texture much larger than the detail texture. Ie. the detail texture units' uv coordinates should tile at about 16x the rate of the base texture in my case."

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement