My first game. A Billiards Clone. (Some Bugs Fixed, Frame Rate Optimized)

Started by
5 comments, last by Cor-Bob 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi everyone! Just to share with you the very first game i created. It's a billiards game. I would love for you to put any comments about the game and any criticism is welcome! Here's some information about the game: Description: 1. A Semi-realistic physics engine that simulates 2D collision of balls and rails. 2. Features a top-down 2D graphics powered by DirectDraw 3. Has the option to run in windowed or fullscreen 16-bit mode (press ALT+ENTER) to cater users having slower PCs. 4. 2 Players battle it out who's capable of beating Reyes and Bustamante the game however, has its own shortcomings, namely: 1. no sound 2. artifacts in graphic objects are highly noticeable specially when using lower resolution video screens. 3. the codes are not optimized, so it's not a surprise if it runs slow on some PCs. 4. It has 2 player support, but only in a common PC, which means thre's no network play options 5. The option tab is disabled so video and gameply options cannot be changed. 6. because of item 5, the "race to" settings is fixed at "race to 7". Here's a screenshot Here's the link for download BILYAR - DOWNLOAD HERE [Edited by - harmless on August 19, 2004 10:04:22 AM]
Advertisement
Wow... *shudder*
For a first game this is absolutly cool! I can only hope my second game will look that good.

Thermo
Pretty cool, would be nice if the pool que was visible at all times when you're shooting (I'm sure you've played yahoo pool). Also I never could tell how hard I was going to hit it, maybe this was my fault. Also the game looks good but it might be worthwhile to replace the hand drawn pool que with a photo of one.
Quote:Original post by xegoth
Pretty cool, would be nice if the pool que was visible at all times when you're shooting (I'm sure you've played yahoo pool). Also I never could tell how hard I was going to hit it, maybe this was my fault. Also the game looks good but it might be worthwhile to replace the hand drawn pool que with a photo of one.

Thanks for the input. Regarding the cue stick, it's supposed to be always visible when you're on-shot mode. while when cue ball on-hand, it is invisible when moving the ball, but becomes visible when rotating the mouse cursor while pressing left mouse button. this is for you to have an option to check where is the best place to put the cue ball before shooting it. If cue stick is behaving differently on your PC, then it might be a bug. I would love to get more details in this problem if you don't mind.
As for the power level when hitting cue stick, i deliberately removed it. the amount of power in the cue stick is shown in its movement. as you press and hold the right mouse button, the cue stick slowly moves away from the cue ball. the farther it is, the stronger it will hit the cue ball. However, i am aware of the bug that the distance the cue stick moves away is proportional to the frame rate. so if you have slow frame rate, the cue stick will not move away noticably. i am currently working on this problem.

About the cue stick, yes i am just using a single line drawn with thick size. this game runs in directdraw so it's not so easy to create an image that rotates. however, i'm creating a new version ofthe game using direct3d. this will give me much more options in putting up effects.
harmless, i have to compliment you here. this is an EXCELLENT game. physics are great, art is very nice, and i just really gotta hand it to you. congratulations on quite the success, and i wish you the best of luck for the future
Silence! I'm Psychoflexing...
Quote:Original post by ugoff
harmless, i have to compliment you here. this is an EXCELLENT game. physics are great, art is very nice, and i just really gotta hand it to you. congratulations on quite the success, and i wish you the best of luck for the future

Thank you very much! It really feels good to hear comments like these on something that you really worked hard for. Yes, i admit, programming my first game is not all that fun. Most of the time, it was frustrating. But probably my passion, drive, and love for doing this made me complete the game( well some options aren't disabled yet, but the D3D version will be complete ).

By the way, i have made some optimization in terms of frame rate. in my system i got about 15% increase. Also, some minor bugs have been fixed.

I hope you enjoy the game!
great game, the only issue i had was the balls turning to triangles (well sorta, more like quarter pieces of pie) and it made it difficult that i couldn't tell what ball was what since i don't play pool that often. otherwhise grate game.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement