Beginner Game Designer & Programmer: Where to start

Started by
7 comments, last by Wysardry 19 years, 8 months ago
Hullo everyone at GameDev.net I have came here today, to inquire to all here. I am new the the computer development field, and have been into the Design process, and programming aspects of games. I have particapted in 2d and 3d graphic games, and have now wished to start my own. For those who care, I have played D&D for quite some time, mainly DMing, and so I have a great urge to write, create, etc. And have now come to reason of starting my own little Text Adventure game. My design aspect has been several years, not including of D&D. My programming knowledge, is that of Blitz Basic, a easy to learn language. If possible, I may be able to learn C++, but would wish not to at my current stage. I am curious, to any links that may provide useful to me, and any tips, for programs such as compilers, etc, needed. Or maybe a language more compatible, or free to use for such Text Adventures.
"A program is just as smart as its user and programmer."
Advertisement
Hey same here with dm'ing. I started out with C++ with VS 6.0, and quite glad that I did. It's an easy language that gets more complicated later on, but you'll start a text-based game in no time. As you progress, you'll learn about making objects/classes, etc. It's the language I'd go for, if I was you. Learn languages that are extremely in use today if you wish to market yourself later in the field. A good free compiler would be Bloodshed.
Start here
If you're game doesn't require any graphics components you may wish to check out TADS (Text Adventure Development System) at www.tads.org
Hey Hacker! Thanks, I'll looking into that. Hehe, neat to meet another DM here at GameDev.

Chris - Ill go look there. :p

EDIT: Lol, same time post. Ill look into that too Anonymous Poster.
Usually people like one or the other, Game Design or Game programming, rather than both of them.

If you're interested in how games work, you can check out many tutorials on this site.

If you're interested in designing games yourself, I suggest using a tool, such as Tads, a legal RPG maker-clone or the likes. While there are very few professional games made using a COTS game designing program, there are also very few professional games created by beginners.
~~~~~Screaming Statue Software. | OpenGL FontLibWhy does Data talk to the computer? Surely he's Wi-Fi enabled... - phaseburn
Thanks Dede, sounds like Tad is pretty good. I heartily understand though, about beginers and professional games. I just wish to participate in both, learn, and have fun, who knows. I may make some few people enjoyed for an hour or so. :p
hey, im a fellow (but now ex) Blitz Basic programmer. fun stuff huh? anyway, making the transition to C++ is easy as pie. as for a resource? i wholeheartedy reccomend Beginning C++ Game Programming (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1592002056/qid=1092887244/sr=8-1/ref=pd_ka_1/002-6421320-4965624?v=glance&s=books&n=507846). it is a FANTASTIC book, and is very good at explaining things in detail. never becoming too detailed, but still thoroughly explaining everything you need to know. really, you must check it out
Silence! I'm Psychoflexing...
You might want to take a look around the Brass Lantern site, as that covers playing and writing adventure games.

Start with the beginners section, even if you're familiar with text adventures, as it offers advice about interpreters and finding your way around the IFArchive, which you'll definitely want to visit too.

The community section also includes links to other useful sites.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement