The red book

Started by
4 comments, last by evolutional 19 years, 8 months ago
I have bought the red book. And I 've read Nehe Tutorial.In the red book, writer don't use Win32 API, but Nehe Tutorial use Win32 API. Can I use things in the red book into Win32?
Advertisement
The Red Book talks only about OpenGL operations.The NeHe Tutorials are real applications,so the need to setup windows,rendering contexts,etc.,so they use Win32 for that.You can also use glut,or SDL,to make your application platform-indepedent.
I'm not sure if I totally understand your question - but I'm assuming the red book examples use GLUT, whereas NeHe uses the wiggle (wgl) extensions to for setting up the GL environment. Most of the OpenGL code you will see is the same, it's mainly just the utility functions that differ. You can grab GLUT from here if you need it. I believe that most (if not all) of the NeHe tutorials have GLUT ports too, so it's really up to you how to go about things.
Quote:Original post by mikeman
The Red Book talks only about OpenGL operations.The NeHe Tutorials are real applications,so the need to setup windows,rendering contexts,etc.,so they use Win32 for that.You can also use glut,or SDL,to make your application platform-indepedent.

Does it mean that I can use what talked in The Red Book into my application (+ setup windows,....)?
Yes, you can use the things in the Red book in your application.
The Red Book focuses on the OpenGL API, you can use and function that begins with gl* in your application. Others, such as glu* need the glu libraries and headers and others such as glut* will require the GLUT libraries to function. If you see the wgl* prefix, you know you're dealing with Windows only extensions.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement