opengl 2.0

Started by
17 comments, last by _the_phantom_ 19 years, 8 months ago
is there any way of being able to program opengl2 other than getting a 3dlabs card?? Muncher
Advertisement
ATI and Nvidia support OpenGL 2.0 ever since the R300 and NV30, or that's what they both claim.
neither of them have any OpenGL 2.0 drivers out yet. However, according to glView my 6800 Ultra supports about 25% or thereabouts of OpenGL 2.0 already. That's because the nvidia drivers already have ARB_shading_language_100 in and a couple of others. I seem to remember that there are about 4 extensions missing that are required for OpenGL 2.0 support.

However, I should think that my card does support those features, nvidia just hasn't written the driver support for them. I have no idea however how far back in the line 2.0 support goes.

EDIT: according to a quick grep glxinfo | "extensions" and a list of 2.0 extensions from the glView site above, I'm missing GL_ARB_texture_float, GL_ARB_half_float_pixel, GL_ARB_color_clamp_control and GL_ARB_extension_query.

I can't check if I have WGL_ARB_pixel_format_float or not unless I boot back to windows.
Acording with glview also my Ati radeon 9700 pro suports about 68%
Quote:Original post by force_of_will

Quote:However, according to glView [www.realtech-vr.com] my 6800 Ultra supports about 25% or thereabouts of OpenGL 2.0 already.

Update your drivers guys. You should have full support for everything.
9700 Compliance
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
Even my ti4200 appears to support OpenGL2.0 completely (according to glview), is there a way to seperate what's emulated and what's really supported (as fragment shaders themselves are NOT supported)?
Quote:Original post by Schmedly
Quote:Original post by force_of_will

Quote:However, according to glView [www.realtech-vr.com] my 6800 Ultra supports about 25% or thereabouts of OpenGL 2.0 already.

Update your drivers guys. You should have full support for everything.
9700 Compliance

I have the latest nvidia drivers (67.77). However, my figure of 25% is based on my memory, which isn't the most reliable of things. It could be closer to 70% or something. I do know that it wasn't 100% though.
Quote:Original post by Tree Penguin
Even my ti4200 appears to support OpenGL2.0 completely (according to glview), is there a way to seperate what's emulated and what's really supported (as fragment shaders themselves are NOT supported)?

I was just thinking along the lines of actually being able to find and use the extensions themselves. I believe the actual hardware support is as follows:

DX8 type shaders are GL_ARB_vertex_program / GL_ARB_fragment_program, which would be fully supported on almost any hardware that has a vertex/pixel hardware pipeline (the TI4200 included)

DX9 type shaders are GL_ARB_vertex_shader / GL_ARB_fragment_shader, which would obviously need a DX9 card ala GFFX and up or a Radeon9500 on up
I set the clouds in motion, turn up light and sound...Activate the window, and watch the world go 'round
No, it's the pixelshader 1.3 support the Ti4200 (any GF4 but not MX) has, and not 2.0 (which is the first reasonable and by OpenGL supported PS). It's not full fragment shader functionality, the shaders are converted to NVidia only extensions (texture shaders, registered combiners).
Quote:Original post by baldurk
I have the latest nvidia drivers (67.77). However, my figure of 25% is based on my memory, which isn't the most reliable of things. It could be closer to 70% or something. I do know that it wasn't 100% though.

You're the voice of expertise on that one. I don't have a 6800 to test, but I'd think that all four GLSL necessary extensions (which are what glView lists as 2.0 compliance) should be accessable on those cards. Very interesting.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement