DOOM3 & Little Kids

Started by
31 comments, last by Agony 19 years, 8 months ago
This is why they put ratings on games. So that you don't have children exposed to things they probably shouldn't be. It's the same thing as letting a young kid watch an R-Rated movie, nobody that young needs to be exposed to things like Schindler's List or Pulp Fiction. Simply get him distracted with something else like a good book.

The Comedy "Desensitize him to Doom3's atmosphere with Silent Hill 2 or 3" Option is also a possible answer.
Advertisement
how has it affected him?
| Member of UBAAG (Unban aftermath Association of Gamedev)
He's in 4th grade and he hasn't seen that stuff yet? He should be like..what, 8 or 9 now? Strange, I saw most of that stuff at that age.

I generally think it's stupid to shelter kids from stuff like that, because they're going to see it eventually; the best approach seems to be (in my opinion, of course) to gradually intoroduce that sort of thing, letting them understand that it's just entertainment, and there really aren't any demons from hell chasing him down.

---------------------------Hello, and Welcome to some arbitrary temporal location in the space-time continuum.

Sheltering isnt very good of a tacktic because sooner or later hell run into whatever your shielding on his own, and then the results are worse. As for this situation, don't worry about it, I feel that its fine considering your the good guy returning demons to hell. I mean, if you play a game where you go around raping people well yeah, you should be shot.

Hi, Im new to this form (came from Dark Basic)
Think what you like, you'll all be mine in the end.
I have got to see this Doom 3 game that everyone is talking about.
-----------------------------Download my real time 3D RPG.
Id like to first state I am 19, and not easly freaked out by games... But doom3... ... .... ....
Yea. its screwed up. And it just gets worse from alpha labs 2
I think they are actualy hireing psycoligists to make games more freaky nowdays, I know they did with silent hill 2 and it was rather effective at times, specialy during the start, first time I went though the start.. oh just the walk to town I was freaking out and turnin at every little sound.
but doom3... is just freaky, they get you at doors often, but not often enough to expect it... and the odd thing that just totaly jumps out at you. and the gore... freaky....

Lead Coder/Game Designer for Brutal Nature: http://BrutalNature.com

Or another suggestion: show him the technical aspect of the game, like a making-of for a movie: how models are made (maybe in an empty space), how levels are designed, etc.. This will show him that it's not "real", that it's a game designed by humans.

Y.
you must train the child to be STRONG! and UNFORGIVING!

I have no younger siblings, I have to refrain my 22 year old brother from hitting the TV at Fifa though.

I'd like to know how it is affecting him? I would probably just keep the kid away from it and then show him some nice happy things.
Yes; my sister (15) is freaked out by Doom3 also.
Though it does make me jumpy, and it is freaky; but that's the whole point, isn't it?

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Make a mod for the game so that instead of blood, there's flowers! Serious Sam had an option to change the gore to flowers and that was..... interesting. It would probably replace the image of gore in someone's mind pretty quickly. I don't know if it would quite create the intended atmosphere though.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement