intresting writing opportunity

Started by
28 comments, last by sunandshadow 19 years, 8 months ago
Quote:Original post by Terlenth

This would be set back when the continents were splitting and such and there would be about 4 continents. Each continent is inhabited by a different species.

There would be the typical human, an insectoid race, a race of underwater dwelling creatures, a race of intelligent carnivorous dinosaurs, and a race of intelligent herbivorous dinosaurs.

Just general descriptions (nothing to far into the inner workings of their society, just the main trait)
The Humans are a fairly neutral race when it comes to everything (like we normally are).

The insectoids are very xenophobic and are always thinking someone is out to get them.

The underwater dwelling race is the race that most people don't really know of.

The carnivorous dinosaurs are a warlike race.

The herbivore dinosaurs are a very peaceful, zen-like race.

Basically what happens is that each of these races are gaining specific technology/magical powers at different rates so each of them have advantages at certain things.

The insectoid race percieves that everyone is going to wipe them out of existance so they have secretly been working on a weapon to destroy everyone who may oppose them. This is discovered by on of the underwater dwelling race who then is required to procede and warn the rest of the world and stop the insectoids from destroying the world.

Edit: This is just some preliminary work that I haven't gone too far in depth on.

Lol...sounds like star trek enterprise.
Advertisement
sunandshadow I would be up for a writing project. Would this just be a creative writing project or would it be more of a storyline for a game cause if its for a game theres a certain criteria that should be followed.

I could setup a site for such a project if people are willing. I'm quiet interested. Time issues I can work through.
Quote:Original post by 5MinuteGaming
sunandshadow I would be up for a writing project. Would this just be a creative writing project or would it be more of a storyline for a game cause if its for a game theres a certain criteria that should be followed.

I could setup a site for such a project if people are willing. I'm quiet interested. Time issues I can work through.

It should be for a game. Perhaps we could get an FF7 script and use that for a template since that seems to be one of everyone's favorite RPGs. You think you have the skills necessary to run this project, then? Why don't you make a draft of the survey to find out what everyone wants to write bout and pm it to me so I can suggest changes/additions?

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Accually, I might be interested. I've always been into the idea of epic RPG writing. I think I could handle most aspects of story developement, as well as character tuning, location design, and sub plot development. I definately don't have the time to be leader, or much of the initiative, but I think I can really put some great ideas forth and work well with other people to make a great story.

As for my two cents, I don't think if we wan't something that is "classic origionality", if you don't mind my crazy oxymoron, then figure we shouldn't in any way whatsoever use a plot that has anything to do with taking over, saving, or preventing the domination of the game world. I believe every game has it's unique spirit that brings out a different side of each of us. I would frankly like to design a story that takes place in an epic world, but has more to do with relationship oriented plot. Not necessarily romantic, but dealing with those nice corney little themes in a nice way. A story that moves people, and story about self realization, where gamers will see the words "The End" on screen and do nothing but stare at it for even a moment, and just sigh in the bliss of real accomplishment.

On another note, I think if I were to create a game world from scratch, the first thing I'd look for would be good theme in technological progress of the game. Now, what I was thinking is a world with pretty medievil eliments, swords and daggers, shields and armor, but also with a mechanical twist. There are many possibilities, but mostly in the aspects of weaponry and transportion. Perhaps your usual RPG line-up of weapons, but maybe one character is a rifleman, pistolman, or muskateer. In terms of transportation, maybe air barges and other such craft or warships with cannons, or long rail lines with simple locomotives or rail car systems. A very warm feel in technelogical standpoint. Not to progressive, but no Evils-of-Technology b.s.

And on a final note, you all may be looking at this completely differently. If you hate my idea, fine, and if yours are better, great! I am very flexible, and will work to any ideas and standards.

-TJ

-IVHumble Student

As I said before I am definately interested. I don't really have time to be project leader (going back to University in 4 days).

As for the Star Trek Enterprise thing, I know its very similar to that. Fun part about that is my friend and I came up with that idea about a year before Star Trek Enterprise even came out =P. It was part of the backstory that explained why Earth developed differently than it did for us. Again, a plot thing.
--Ter'Lenth
Although I don't think I'm experienced enough to be a group leader for this project I think that I can be a healthy contributor. Especially with coming up with a story outline that everyone will agree with. As well as a game design and outline. When the survey is setup and after everyone interested has been able to comment. I will be glad to incorporate everyones ideas as long as they are not conflicting too much. So one of the points I will make in the survey is that everyone try to compliment others ideas so that there is some consistency.

TraderJack good of you to offer. I also don't have time to be lead. But that think we might be able to setup a shared pecking order. So that the leadership is shared between more than one individual giving some leeway. Or something where the leadership is passed and repsonsiblity broken down.
Okay, you guys sort out the leadership responsibilities, I'll handle putting the survey together and starting a new thread for it. If anyone has any ideas on what should be included in the survey or how it should be organized, post them here or pm them to me.

[Edit: Wow 3 typos in one sentence. o.O]

I want to help design a "sandpark" MMO. Optional interactive story with quests and deeply characterized NPCs, plus sandbox elements like player-craftable housing and lots of other crafting. If you are starting a design of this type, please PM me. I also love pet-breeding games.

Hmmm... I suppose I could take leadership responsibilities.

Here's what I'll do. I'll start working on the plot design procedure and template and figure out how we'll do this. First thing's first. Sunandshadow, go ahead and create that thread for this story. In that thread we'll establish the team, post our initial ideas, and get to work on giving us more grounds on this project, as well as a great way to communicate so we can get this done efficiently. Also, let's turn this team into four people atleast.

I've already gone through the liberty of contacting Josh Hudson (MelodyMan) via email to make sure he is still interested in the story. If not, lets do this anyway! He asked for 3 to 4 people, and if possible, I'd like to bring in a fourth. If we're not working under Joshua, then we have a bit more liberty in the project, but should still work at it with equal valor. I'll keep in touch, and keep my eyes open.

-TJ

-IVHumble Student

Sounds like a plan TraderJack but you won't be alone with all the responsibilities. I am willing to be given a fair amount of leadership. As soon as sunandshadow can make the new thread then I will repost my proposal adding of course a few things. I like it to a great degree although I'm open for any change to it that we all agree on.
TraderJack - emailing MelodyMan was a good idea. But unless/until he says he's still interested, I see no reason to limit the collaborative game design project to 4 people, I want to invite everyone in the forum to participate andget to know each other through this communal activity.

5minutegaming - please read my instructions for responding to the survey: don't post a whole proposal, break it down to essential ideas and put themin your survey response. Thanks!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement