New 2D Game Tutorial Site! Uses SDL.

Started by
8 comments, last by Rebooted 19 years, 8 months ago
Hey all, I've finished a whole wack of tutorials on my site and I feel that it's finally ready for public use. You'll find tutorials on general programming concepts like basic data structures, pointers, and the STL. You'll also find a 2D tutorial series that takes you through the creation of 5 games, all using SDL. I've only finished a tetris tutorial so far for this series, but more will be on their way soon. The tetris one was the biggest because I show how to handle a game project from planning to implementation. The rest should take a lot less time. Please have a look and tell me what you think. www.aaroncox.net/tutorials Thanks! -Aaron Cox
-------------------------------See my tutorial site: Click here
Advertisement
Fixed width at 975? *sniffles* My poor 800x600 has horizontal scrollbars. Tutorials are hard to read with horizontals. =(
I've not fully read the first tutorial, so this may be a stupid question, but why are you using WinMain(), when you should use main() on all platforms with SDL?

SDL provides its own main()/WinMain() function and renames the main() function you provide sdl_main(). It is called by the real main function SDL provides after some initilisation.
another tutorial from another tutorial
You know you can make it as a win32 application and still use
int main(int argc, char* argv[]) if your using SDL.

Other then that it seems good. Glad to finally see more SDL tutorials other then just the docs and cone3d.
______________________________________________________________________________________With the flesh of a cow.
Hey, I was using WinMain() so that console window wouldn't always popup as well as the game window. Apparantly that wasn't such a good idea, I'll change that soon. I did put a note there for people using different platforms though.

The fixed width thing will be changed soon. I'll probably get rid of the side-bar so my site isn't tiny for people running less than 1024x768.

And thanks for the meaningless negative comment AP. It's always good to see that there's still a few jerks in an otherwise really positive community.

Thanks all!
-Aaron Cox
I've removed all reference to WinMain() in my tutorials. Thanks to everyone who made the suggestion. If you have anymore problems, please let me know! I'll be fixing the size problem later today or tomorrow. I made everything autosize but my preformatted text is still messing that up.

Thanks again
-Aaron Cox
I've updated the introductory SDL tutorial. It looks a lot better now and doesn't have any fixed width problems. Place have a look and tell me what you all think. The rest of the site will be changed soon.

-Aaron Cox
Nice site,
if you want less spam you might want to make your email address into a .jpg file so email spiders don't pick it up.
If the console window is popping up, its because you made a console app, not a Win32 app. Other than the WinMain() thing you fixed now, the tutorial looks good, and should help beginners to SDL.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement