Windows XP

Started by
102 comments, last by Washu 19 years, 8 months ago
Hi. I upgraded from windows 98 to windows xp. Howver i have 3 problems: 1. I don't know my activation key. What should i do? 2. My files were not lost during the installation, but they are not organized the way i want. For example, Windows XP tells me that there are no programs installed in my PC, although they are all there, in my C:\ folder. I want to place all this files to the folder that says "All Programs" and let the OS see that i actually have programs installed. Help? 3. I can't here a sound. For some reason it doesn't recognise my sound card. In windows 98 i would say "Add new Hardware" and it would search to find if there is new hardware in my machine. What should i do with my XP? I forget the name of the card too. Also, i don't find an option that says "uninstall windows xp" to go back to 98 ( unless i can solve the above problems with your help ), and i can't start in safe mode ( F8 while starting doesn't work ) to uninstall XP. PLEASE help me. thanks in advance
Advertisement
Did you install WinXP over Win98? If so then all of your programs should still be in the start folder. If not then you are going to have to reinstall because none of the programs will be in the registry. Also it is usually better to wipe Win98 off the hard drive and install fresh, it causes fewer problems.

The activation key should be somewhere in the stuff that came with XP(box, manual, CD case etc.)

As for the sound card there should be an option to add new hardware in the control panel just like in 98

Just as an offtopic note though this whole thing sounds fishy to me.
"Pfft, Facts! Facts can be used to prove anything!" -- Homer J. Simpson
i just installed xp. everything of the other os should be overwritten. As for the activation key i can't find it. and i don't see an option for add new hardware too. nothing is solved yet. please can anyone help me?
Quote:Original post by sdlprorammer
Hi. I upgraded from windows 98 to windows xp. Howver i have 3 problems:

1. I don't know my activation key. What should i do?

Clicky

Quote:
2. My files were not lost during the installation, but they are not organized the way i want. For example, Windows XP tells me that there are no programs installed in my PC, although they are all there, in my C:\ folder. I want to place all this files to the folder that says "All Programs" and let the OS see that i actually have programs installed. Help?

Clicky
Quote:
3. I can't here a sound. For some reason it doesn't recognise my sound card. In windows 98 i would say "Add new Hardware" and it would search to find if there is new hardware in my machine. What should i do with my XP? I forget the name of the card too.

Clicky
Quote:
Also, i don't find an option that says "uninstall windows xp" to go back to 98 ( unless i can solve the above problems with your help ), and i can't start in safe mode ( F8 while starting doesn't work ) to uninstall XP.

PLEASE help me. thanks in advance

Uninstalling Windows XP on an upgrade

Windows XP FAQ

Google it!!!

EDIT: Eh, some of those are crap, since a few things got answered :D

But anyway, bleh. I don't feel like editing everything.
Can't find your activation key?

Easy just give Microsoft a call and they will be able to activate it for you as long as it is a legal copy.
i still can't solve any of my problems. i try to uninstall XP but i can't do it.

iF i delete the windows folder and then try to install 98, will that work?
i still can't solve any of my problems. i try to uninstall XP but i can't do it.

iF i delete the windows folder and then try to install 98, will that work?
egad, no, never just delete a system folder.

back up your files, format your harddrive (best done by deleting the harddrive partitions while installing XP), install XP. install your network card drivers, run windows update, and you should get your sound card drivers.

[Formerly "capn_midnight". See some of my projects. Find me on twitter tumblr G+ Github.]

but how am i going to back up them? and i still can't find the activation key
2. My files were not lost during the installation, but they are not organized the way i want. For example, Windows XP tells me that there are no programs installed in my PC, although they are all there, in my C:\ folder. I want to place all this files to the folder that says "All Programs" and let the OS see that i actually have programs installed. Help?

i installed winodows 98 and the problem is still there. what should i do?
i installed winodows 98 and the problem is still there. what should i do?

WhWhaWhat do you mean? You have just installed Win98 without reformatting? Just over XP?
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement