and I want to do this
AnyClass factory;
SomeOtherClass object = factory.GetObject();
This, unfortunately doesn't work. I've tried following
factory.GetObject<SomeOtherClass>()
but same error comes.
Cannot deduce template argument for 'bla bla'
Anyone knows solution to this problem.
So... Muira Yoshimoto sliced off his head, walked 8 miles, and defeated a Mongolian horde... by beating them with his head?

Documentation? "We are writing games, we don't have to document anything".
Advertisement
#include <string>#include <iostream>class Factory{public:	template <typename T> T* make(){ return new T();}};class A{public:	void foo(){ std::cout << "A::foo()" << std::endl;}};int main(){	Factory f;	f.make<int>();	f.make<std::string>();	f.make<A>()->foo();}

works without problems using VC7.1

edit:

without problems as in compiles and dutifully leaks memory.
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
The only problem that i can see with the code is that the expression new T returns type T*, not T, so your return type is wrong on the function (should be T*, not T&), or return *new T; inside the function if you prefer. Apart from that, it should compile, the factory.GetObject<SomeOtherClass>() version that is, though looks like a likely source for a leak if not used wisely.
Quote:Original post by Jingo
The only problem that i can see with the code is that the expression new T returns type T*, not T, so your return type is wrong on the function (should be T*, not T&), or return *new T; inside the function if you prefer. Apart from that, it should compile, the factory.GetObject<SomeOtherClass>() version that is, though looks like a likely source for a leak if not used wisely.

It was just an example. True code is for property list which accepts any type and returns any type.

BTW, I'm on VC++6.0
So... Muira Yoshimoto sliced off his head, walked 8 miles, and defeated a Mongolian horde... by beating them with his head?

Short of the actual code that gives the error, I would have to conclude that it's due the poor template support in VC6. DigitalDelusion's code gives 5 errors in vc6, so it likely is the compiler. You can get the 2003.net pro compiler free from msdn, I'm sure it wont be too difficult to hook it up to the vc6 IDE.
I don't have VC6 close but I belive this would work even with its broken template support
#include <iostream>class Factory{public:	template <typename T> void make(T*& p){ p = new T();}};class A{public:	void foo(){ std::cout << "A::foo()" << std::endl;}};int main(){	Factory f;	A *pA;		f.make( pA);	pA->foo();}
HardDrop - hard link shell extension."Tread softly because you tread on my dreams" - Yeats
Quote:Original post by DigitalDelusion
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

works without problems using VC7.1

edit:

without problems as in compiles and dutifully leaks memory.

Well, it doesn't work.
D:\Cyprox Studios\The King Of Gods\QuickCode\main.cpp(358) : error C2062: type 'int' unexpectedD:\Cyprox Studios\The King Of Gods\QuickCode\main.cpp(359) : error C2275: 'std::string' : illegal use of this type as an expressionD:\Cyprox Studios\The King Of Gods\QuickCode\main.cpp(359) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'D:\Cyprox Studios\The King Of Gods\QuickCode\main.cpp(360) : error C2275: 'A' : illegal use of this type as an expression        D:\Cyprox Studios\The King Of Gods\QuickCode\main.cpp(348) : see declaration of 'A'D:\Cyprox Studios\The King Of Gods\QuickCode\main.cpp(360) : error C2059: syntax error : ')'

Well, that's just it. Compiler is broken.

Anyway, I've come to somewhat esoteric solution.
template <class T> struct TType {};class Factory{public:	template <typename T> T* make(TType<T>){ return new T();}};class A{public:	void foo(){ std::cout << "A::foo()" << std::endl;}};int main(){	Factory f;	f.make(TType<int>());	f.make(TType<std::string>());	f.make(TType<A>())->foo();	return 0;}

It compiles fine and doesn't produce trash. Here is the assembly (debug).
; 358  : 	Factory f;; 359  : ; 360  : 	f.make(TType<int>());	mov	al, BYTE PTR $T93490[ebp]	push	eax	lea	ecx, DWORD PTR _f$[ebp]	call	?make@Factory@@QAEPAHU?$TType@H@@@Z	; Factory::make

Quote:Original post by DigitalDelusion
I don't have VC6 close but I belive this would work even with its broken template support
*** Source Snippet Removed ***

But my intention was to return reference to object so I could write
Class &property = list.getProperty("some")
in any form available

Edit: sorry

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement