improving speed - help me please

Started by
29 comments, last by sdlprorammer 19 years, 7 months ago
I never defragged my computer and I never noticed a downgrade in speed. Obviously his problems are more major than that -- I would guess he has alot of useless programs (including spyware/adware) running all the time -- that always makes even the simplest action be very slow, often because the programs just take up all available RAM. Open up Task Manager, what do you see running?
~CGameProgrammer( );Developer Image Exchange -- New Features: Upload screenshots of your games (size is unlimited) and upload the game itself (up to 10MB). Free. No registration needed.
Advertisement
thank you for your advice but it's not that...

but right now i am interested in the partitions thing..
Quote:Original post by sdlprorammerAnd something last. If i have a program in one partition and my os in an another, then the os will execute my program more slowly because of the ...distance?

By no means am I an expert when it comes to hardware, but I don't think so, IIRC programs are loaded on to your RAM when you start them up, aren't they?
Quote:Original post by sdlprorammer
Now i don't understand something else. How am i going to instaall windows in one partition, linux in another one, and all my applications and files in another bigger one? I mean, windows install some programs to your PC when you install them ( like windows media player ). IS it ok if i have those programs in that partition, separate from my other programs?

And something last. If i have a program in one partition and my os in an another, then the os will execute my program more slowly because of the ...distance?

yes, no.
"C lets you shoot yourself in the foot rather easily. C++ allows you to reuse the bullet!"
And something last. If i have a program in one partition and my os in an another, then the os will execute my program more slowly because of the ...distance?

[lol] Hehe, no, I think not [grin]
I use my primary drive to house WinXP and the "Documents and Settings" folder. I have a secondary (much faster) drive with all my large program files/games on it and video editing stuff.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

many thanks for the replies guys :D ( i don't write my reactions and comments for all the replies, but i read them all and take them seriously into consideration, so thank you all! )

Quote:but I don't think so, IIRC programs are loaded on to your RAM when you start them up, aren't they?

now it makes more sense :)

But again, i don't get it. when i install a program, it is placed in my program files folder. But that folder is in the partition of windows! how am i going to have one partition for windows ( another one for linux ) and another one for applications and files? They are interchangable, how can i split them up?
many thanks for the replies guys :D ( i don't write my reactions and comments for all the replies, but i read them all and take them seriously into consideration, so thank you all! )

Quote:but I don't think so, IIRC programs are loaded on to your RAM when you start them up, aren't they?

But again, i don't get it. when i install a program, it is placed in my program files folder. But that folder is in the partition of windows! how am i going to have one partition for windows ( another one for linux ) and another one for applications and files? They are interchangable, how can i split them up?

Why would you want to be able to see your Win32 apps from within Linux?
I think there is a way to remap %PROGRAMFILES% to another folder than C:\Program Files, but I have no idea why you'd want to do this (it's risky!).
The best bet is to change drive when actually installing the programs. I install everything to D:\Program Files, my windows is C:\Windows. I have a C:\Program Files folder which contains a few basics - OfficeXP, Media Player, Internet Explorer, but all the rest go on my D:\ drive.

[Website] [+++ Divide By Cucumber Error. Please Reinstall Universe And Reboot +++]

Quote:Original post by benryves

I think there is a way to remap %PROGRAMFILES% to another folder than C:\Program Files, but I have no idea why you'd want to do this (it's risky!).
The best bet is to change drive when actually installing the programs. I install everything to D:\Program Files, my windows is C:\Windows. I have a C:\Program Files folder which contains a few basics - OfficeXP, Media Player, Internet Explorer, but all the rest go on my D:\ drive.

If you want to install two operating system (linux and windows) on your harddrive all you need is a (bootable) linux installation cd. Pop the cd in and run cfdisk. This will allow you to set up your partitions.

You want at least three partitions for this. A linux partition, a linux swap partition (small, maybe 250mb), and a ntfs (or fat) for windows 98/xp. Make the linux partition and the windows partition "bootable" (but not the swap).

The program is somewhat graphical so you will see what I'm talking about when you run it.

After that, restart your computer and install windows xp to the windows partition. It is important to install windows first because it is a b**ch and will write over your MBR (master boot record).

After windows is installed, pop in your linux install cd and restart the computer. Follow the directions on the screen. Eventually it will ask you a question about "LiLo." LiLo is the Linux Loader which allows you to select which os to boot into.

As long as your partitions are set up right (meaning, windows partition is bootable and linux partition is bootable), lilo will install without any problems. Also, when given the of where lilo should be installed select "MBR" or master boot record. When asked if you would like linux to be able to see the windows partition select yes. Believe me, this comes in handy. Especially if you plan on using wine.

Take the cd out of the drive and restart your machine. Congrats, you now have two os's installed on your system.

- Stephen

Quote:Original post by benryves

Ok now i see that there are 2 "Program files", one for each partition. :) Thank you!

Quote:You want at least three partitions for this. A linux partition, a linux swap partition (small, maybe 250mb), and a ntfs (or fat) for windows 98/xp. Make the linux partition and the windows partition "bootable" (but not the swap).

Why do linux need 2 partitions? Then i would have to make 4 partitions instead of 3 ( i thought i would have one for linux, one for windows, and one for programs and files )...?

So if i am going to install both linux and windows i should install linux first and then windows right?

edit: Anoter question. The regirsty of windows will be placed in the partition of the OS right?
Quote:Why do linux need 2 partitions?
When Linux runs out of memory, it frees some up by writing the old contents to the swap partition. Windows accomplishes the same thing by writing to a file on the Windows partition.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement