Forgot my password

Started by
6 comments, last by Chris Hare 19 years, 7 months ago
I think I'm seriously screwed. I cant log ont my mandrake linux computer because I have absolutly no idea what the password is. Can anyone help?
Advertisement
Did you try Mulligan? "Yomama"? KrakenPipe?

...your mother's maiden name?

The guy down the street who always used to invite you inside for "candy"? ...Seriously, what kind of question is this? How the HECK are we supposed to know your password? Seriously, anonymity (sp) roXzz0xrxz (sp) j00r (sp) box0r4Z.
If you've forgotten the root password:

1. Boot off an installation disk, to a command prompt.

2. Mount your original root partition somewhere, such as /mnt.
3. Edit /mnt/etc/shadow.

4. Look at the line that starts with "root". Delete everything on that line between the first and second colon (it'll be a bunch of random numbers and letters and other symbols. Save and exit.

5. Reboot. The root password will be empty.

6. Don't forget to change it. [wink]
That's it, I'm now convinced that you, Sneftel, are a spy. Last time it was exact instuctions about how to gain access to a locked briefcase, this time it's how to recover lost passcodes. Your codename is a little strange, though...
NASA == totally haX3d.

Haha, anybody else see that?
Quote:Original post by Chris Hare
That's it, I'm now convinced that you, Sneftel, are a spy. Last time it was exact instuctions about how to gain access to a locked briefcase, this time it's how to recover lost passcodes. Your codename is a little strange, though...
Yeah. We're spys.

We call ourselves system administrators. And we read your email.
Quote:Original post by Chris Hare
Not a spy.... just someone who dislikes secrets being kept from him.... [evil]
Oh dear god!?! I shot JFK!

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement