Super Beginner with some needed help-THERMODYNAMICS i'm right here

Started by
21 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 7 months ago
hey, i just need to know the first and most basic thing a noobster like me can do to get started, just to let you know i do not know any languages. i have almost NO knowledge of game making so please tell me the VERY first thing i should do thanks the noobster;)
Advertisement
http://www.gamedev.net/reference/start_here/

This should help you out alot.
The first thing you need is a good background in math, after that you should learn a simple language like visual basic or blitzbasic
Start here

But you've come to the right place for game development! First you have to choose a language. Once you become adept at that language, choose a graphics API. Then get cracking. But expect this whole process to take between 3~18 months, depending on what language you choose...

Mushu - trying to help those he doesn't know, with things he doesn't know.
Why won't he just go away? An question the universe may never have an answer to...
I hope you enjoy reading, because that is my advice. You can find plenty of help on this site alone. When you add to that Google and Amazon, you have quite an impressive amount of disscussion on the topic.

Everywhere you will read the same thing- start small.

Pick a language to begin with. There are a multitude out there and they all have their pros and cons. I started back in the day with BASIC. I also programmed a bit on my calculator.

I would suggest starting with something simple like one of those languages. (If you learn how to program well in one language, learning more isn't that difficult). Many people will probably tell you to learn C++. As powerful as the language is, I don't think it is the best for beginners. If you have a graphics calculator, start with that. Try Visual Basic is you want to program on your computer instead.

If you want to, work with the macros that are created by word and excel. (these are actually a slightly modified Visual Basic). If you want to try more graphical stuff look into programming flash (I honestly have not read anything on this so I don't know how hard it is to learn.)

But over all- I have 3 rules that I have always followed.

1. Read.
2. Keep it simply
3. Just try it out and see if it works.

BTW- I still think your name is hilarious. :)
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
ok, thanks a lot thermo,
so are you sure that there is nothing easier than VB6?
im not trying to be annoying or anythinbut like you said, im trying ot keep it as simple as it can be,
BTW, how do you program with a calculator?
thanks
the noobster

lol
It all depends on what you want to do. If you want pretty pictures that move around, use VB. If you would rather have a text window that says
Quote:Computer: You see a flask on the table.
User: Get Flask
Computer: You cannot get the flask. It's stuck.
Computer: I said you can't get it because it's stuck. Sheesh, you would think people would read before they type in stupid commands
Computer: You finally manage to get the flask. Unfortunately, it was a load bearing flask because the whole dungeon collapses on you. Are you happy now?

If all you want is text, there are easier programs. Check out some of the links already posted here. I am sure they can help you more than me.

Above all, have fun. I look forward to your tetris clone.
[s]I am a signature virus. Please add me to your signature so that I may multiply.[/s]I am a signature anti-virus. Please use me to remove your signature virus.
And, just for reference, VB6 works fine with graphical APIs, like DirectX (not sure about OGL, though), which means you can use it for slightly more complicated stuff as well too.

The main problem with VB6 is that it is not a mainstream programming language - that is, it's fine for hobbiest work, but when it comes to professional stuff, most of that is done in C++.

But I'd have to say that VB6 is immensely easier to start learning than C++, especially if you have no previous experience with programming.

Mushu - VB6 and Dx8.1 hobbiest who posts while he codes.
Why won't he just go away? An question the universe may never have an answer to...
All of the replies are good. The languages mentioned will all give you a concept of programming but no matter what you use, you will have to learn the language. So if you start with VB and decide to go to C++, the time spent on VB is relatively usless to you. What I would suggest is first, figure out what it is you would like to do with your programming. Where to you want to end up? Making games to sell, getting in the industry, or hobyist? Once you know that, find out what the majority are using and get some books. The only reason I say to find out what the majority are using is because there is likely to be more help when you need it.

Once you get the books, start reading everything you can about the language you select and PROGRAM!!! Program everything you can. Make programs to calculate the temperature, that guess numbers, that choose colors, that do anything else you can imagine. Reading is fine but the excercises are what you are going to learn from. Good luck.

Steven Bradley .:Personal Journal:. .:WEBPLATES:. .:CGP Beginners Group:. "Time is our most precious resource yet it is the resource we most often waste." ~ Dr. R.M. Powell
Quote:Original post by Grellin
So if you start with VB and decide to go to C++, the time spent on VB is relatively usless to you.

That's mayor bollocks. Time spent programming is never useless. Once your good at programming, switching languages is easy. Altough switching from VB to C++ is a big jump it is far easier than actualy understanding some basic programming concepts (and under basic I consider stuff like Dijkstra or inheritance).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement