Sparklies...again

Started by
19 comments, last by mikiex 19 years, 7 months ago
Well first of all, i'm using OpenGL, on an ATI Radeon 9000 no extensions though, latest drivers, no multisampling.

The yellow stripes were originaly part of the mesh, then from Max detached and with a different texture applied. I don't see why they wouldn't share the same vertices (or duplicated vertex since Max uses more UV's per vertex) since no other modifiers were applied. Any ideeas?
Advertisement
Just a test, try going into max and deleting the stripes which you detached. Export that to some test file and load it. See if you have any sparklies..

Maybe before you do any changes, you should let someone with a nVidia videocard try your application. I strongly suggest that.
thanks, well the level was tested on Radeon 9000&9200 and on GeForce FX 5200&5500, all of them show the sparklies. I'm sorry but i don't fully understand pammatt suggestion...
mate the problem is pretty common, check out most quake3 maps that use curves where the curves met the non curved surfaces, cause of T-junctions.
the only way to repare it is to fix the model, the graphics api or radeon/nvidia aint the cause of the problem
i'm aware of the T-junction issue, but the faces are perfectly non-curved and using the same vertices or their duplicates, or is there something i'm missing here? (with the T-junction thing)
Hi,

Just some thoughts

1. Are you positive that the vertices are exactly the same, not accidently moved?

2. Are you using compression on the vertices in the file format?

3. What precision are you using for storing vertices?. Could you be losing precision when exporting, thus introducing small errors?

4. Just how long are the traingles along the edges of where the sparkles appear? It used to be (and maybe still is) considered pretty bad to use very long thin traingles, as they could cause precision issues (and others). Indeed I think its possible in these cases that even if exactly the same vertices are used to get slightly different renderering of the edges, and thus the white spots. - (Mind you this is all some vague recollection of talking with some 3D engineering guy years ago)

As most of the obvious causes for sparklies have been ruled out, perhaps its time to build some test cases to see what is going on.

So in Max, create a similar simple object, clone it and detach a section. Clone that and this time apply different textures as in the sample, etc. Build up a file of test cases, then load it into your engine. Check each version looking to see at which stage the sparkles are visible. Perhaps that will give you a bit more information on why its happening.

Cheers
Quote:Original post by pasman
i'm aware of the T-junction issue, but the faces are perfectly non-curved and using the same vertices or their duplicates

how are you ensuring that their positions are shared ? Did you clone the data yourself or did you let the artist/exporter deal with that ?

Do you feed that directly to the card? do you use different shader/fixed function between drawing calls ?
My suggestion was to remove the stripes from your model and see if you still have sparkles.. if you do not have sparkles then the problem is somehow influenced by the yellow stripes.

Once this is determined, you can then add the stripes back to your model and tweak them until they work.

It would be a very easy way to rule out many possibilities. That is one of the key elements to problem solving.
I've had similar problems that I pinned to glBlend.
Seems a texture had a few 'transparent' defined pixels
at the border. Try turning off blending to see if that's
the case.

Good luck.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement