Criticize my latest game

Started by
8 comments, last by Geno the Great 19 years, 7 months ago
SpaceShooty 1.0 'Tis another Space Invaders clone, with a new idea worked in: The enemies fall on you when hit, and you need to avoid them. I just finished version 1.0, which fixed several bugs and added actual art (Not programmer art) All the controls, etc is addressed in README.txt. Unzip the file anywhere, it makes it's own folder. Size: 109 KB. www.xnull.net/projects.php?project=spaceshooty
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -I am you and what I see is me
Advertisement
Belongs in the announcements forum. I'd look at the screenshots if your website had any, but downloading EXEs from random sites is just a bad idea - even if the poster is a cool guy, you have no idea if he's kept up to date on his virus definitions...
Well, Norton seems to think his binaries and resources are clean.. and my computer hasn't blown up yet. Screenshots would be nice.

Commentary? Well.. lots of things I could say, but because it's an in-progress work, I'd like to express my distaste for having the score and lives in the titlebar. Get some nice bitmapped fonts (or generate some with the wgl functionality) and stick those in-game. This will also get rid of problems regarding fullscreen early on.
Disclaimer: "I am in no way qualified to present advice on any topic concerning anything and can not be held responsible for any damages that my advice may incurr (due to neither my negligence nor yours)"
Quote:Original post by falkone
Well, Norton seems to think his binaries and resources are clean..

Still leaves open the possibility of newer virii, or trojans.
Quote:and my computer hasn't blown up yet. Screenshots would be nice.

That's good. I found out my old computer had the MBS virus on it some 3 years after I most likely aquired it (through floppy sharing with an old friend).
</paranoia>
I'd love to, but I'm just guessing you don't have linux binaries.
Quote:Original post by C-Junkie
I'd love to, but I'm just guessing you don't have linux binaries.

Use wine, or Cedega (used to be winex, derives from the wine tree) from transgaming (LGPL, and partly LGPL)
Ok well I've found a bug, sometimes when you kill an airplane, even if it's dead, it still shoots missiles ( so basically you see nothing and then there are some missiles shooted just like if it was alive )
More bugs.

Hit two planes with one shot(bug or skillz?! XD)

Speed is not time synchronized.
"Follow the white rabbit."
Yeah Id make the game speed time based. it runns too fast on my comp at the moment. Looks pretty good havent noticed any of the bugs others have metioned.
Quote:Original post by BosskIn Soviet Russia, you STFU WITH THOSE LAME JOKES!
Quote:Original post by White Scorpion
Ok well I've found a bug, sometimes when you kill an airplane, even if it's dead, it still shoots missiles ( so basically you see nothing and then there are some missiles shooted just like if it was alive )

Thanks, but that was already addressed in the readme and main comment in the CPP file. I'd like to do a Linux port, but compiling with G++ and running it results in an interesting segfault, which I'm too lazy to figure out at the moment.

By the way, I'm NOT trying to put a damn virus on your computer. I do a virus scan every week and update Norton regularly, and everything you see on my site is hosted from my very own Slackware Linux server.

Anyway, thanks for the input. I put up a screenie on my site, and I'll look into drawing the score/lives in the corner as opposed to in the title bar.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -I am you and what I see is me

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement