Network library

Started by
11 comments, last by Pipo DeClown 19 years, 7 months ago
Hi guys I am planning on doing a multiplayer game. I was wondering which of the librarys that are free that you would recommend for doinig multiplayer games with a few players in?
Advertisement
eNet
HawkNL looks quite nice. And of course there's DirectPlay (on Windows).
Torque -

Its not free (I know that was a requirement - but Torque is pretty low and this specific API may even be lower), but its a very good network system that allows for a lot of players. They recently pulled the network code out of the Torque SDK/source, but I dont recall pricing - check it out on GarageGames.com.

Hope that helps..

#dth-0

Torque's OpenTNL is now available under GPL, which qualifies for "free" (as in speech, not as in beer).
enum Bool { True, False, FileNotFound };
Not all that free ;)

You cannot link it into a non-GPL project.
hey everyone,

is ENet cross platform? couldnt find that out with a brief look at their site. thanks.
FTA, my 2D futuristic action MMORPG
it works with Linux and Win32...not sure about OSX (http://cube-osx.sourceforge.net/ seems to be having some trouble, but I'm not sure why)
The best network library I've used is Replicanet the URL is www.replicanet.com

The good thing is that their library is free as long as your software is also free. Otherwise you can buy a copy from them. Their tech support is also great, I've emailed them lots and always got a quick reply.

Even better than ReplicaNet is Quazal Net-Z. It is high level, work in both real-time data propagation mode and synchronized simulation, has very complete documentation and it's used by professional game development studios such as Eidos, Ubisoft and Sammy Studios for their AAA titles. To get a feel of the community around Quazal's product, just take a look at their DevZone forums and compared to that, ReplicaNet feels like a abandoned house!

http://www.quazal.com

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement