Is there a best OS for programming?

Started by
36 comments, last by PurpleAmethyst 19 years, 7 months ago
You do realise that the only thing you are going to get out of asking this question is what everyone's personal preference is?!?! And for that you don't need to start your own thread, there are millions before you who have already asked the same thing.
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by pkelly83
Quote:Original post by TomX
Thanks, what advantages does Linux have over Windows in relation to programming?

Better Editors and more techie oriented environment. Harder to crash it too if you do something dumb by mistake. That goes for any UNIX not just Linux

poppycock

Justify yourself. "Poppycock" is not a proper opinion and you don't even have the guts to admit who you are.

One of the sole reason I use Linux for development is I can't find an editor as good as the one I use in Linux, it's part of KDE, called Kate. If you can point me to an editor as good as this for Windows XP I will be quite happy to use it.

Quote:Original post by Spoonster
Hah, I'm not so sure about that. True, the Linux kernel might be near uncrashable, but an awful lot of Linux apps are very sloppy coded, and will crash as soon as you look at them... :)

And to be fair, it's damn hard to crash Windows XP as well.

Yeah I agree, but so are many Windows apps. Why not just follow the rule of if it doesn't work don't use it. For every badly coded app on any OS there is a better one taht works and does the same jobs.

One of the sole reason I use Linux for development is I can't find an editor as good as the one I use in Linux, it's part of KDE, called Kate. If you can point me to an editor as good as this for Windows XP I will be quite happy to use it.

That's the main editor I use, I really like it. I used to use Textpad on Windows, which is quite similar and seems quite popular. I prefer using many small, well-written tools (which you can choose and use together) than huge all-in-one IDEs that tend to have some weak parts and some good parts. Linux is much better if you like this because there is a huge array of choice for each program you can use for development, due to the open nature of the applications and most project are modular in design.
I would imagine that the best development OS is simply whichever is more comfortable for the programmer who has to use it. (except maybe weird things like trying to write VB app on a Macintosh system)

The OS you test on is much more important. :)
"There is only one everything"
Windows *may* be better, but Linux just gets me in a programming mood.
"There are two types of languages, those that everyone complains about, and those that no one uses."Standardized C++ LibrariesGamecron PC GamingA Christian Blog
SlickEdit
PFE (development and distribution discontinued, unfortunately)
EditPad (there's a free Lite version)

Face it, this all comes down to preference and dogma.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi
Cost is a factor. XP Embedded and VXWorks carry per unit licensing costs. Embedded Linux does not have licensing costs. ThreadX carries up front costs license costs.
Quote:Original post by Oluseyi

For once I totally agree with you :)

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement