Visual C++ 8 beta.....

Started by
13 comments, last by RipTorn 19 years, 6 months ago
I have never used anything newer then Visual Studio 6 and am a bit lost. How do I set up OpenGL in Nehe's chapter 1 tutorial? I am missing 6 badly since I am so use to it but I need to move on;)
Advertisement
I agree. I absolutely hate how Microsoft has completely changed the interface after 6. That's pretty much a slap in the face to loyal users.
Well, from what I've seen, you go to File->New, select Windows Console Application (bear with me here), and then you go through the steps until you find a selection between a console application and a windows application. Pick windows. Then, you can add new files to your 'solution' (I have no clue what these are for) that you've edited/created.

Hope it helps...
- fyhuang [ site ]
Yeah I figured out the how to get a windows app instead of a console and all that I am just having a hard time figuring out where project/settings/link/ Object/Library Modules or equivalent went...or maybe I am just not paying enough attention...all foriegn to me right now.
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
I agree. I absolutely hate how Microsoft has completely changed the interface after 6. That's pretty much a slap in the face to loyal users.

Stop livin in the past dude!
I'm still using 6, I hate it that all my shortcuts that I learned aren't working anymore with the new versions, although they've got some nice features (stl debugging, call browser, debugging release apps, good profiler, ...).
I also hate it that the new version is eating >100mb memory whereas the old one needs ~15-30mb.
_____________________________________http://www.winmaze.de, a 3D shoot em up in OpenGL, nice graphics, multiplayer, chat rooms, a nice community, worth visiting! ;)http://www.spheretris.tk, an upcoming Tetrisphere clone for windows, a 3D tetris game on a sphere with powerful graphics for Geforce FX and similar graphics cards.
Thats the Reason why my pc LAGS!

You see i dual view and then have 3-4 projects open at one time considering that i can copy a paste across and i dont need to re-write any code!! But with my bigger project(s) like the 3d quake 3 engine it takes 1 minute to switch to the application!

So u say if i revert to c++ 6 i would lose the problem!?DJ
----------------------------

http://djoubert.co.uk
can i just say OMG. VC++.net is the BEST ide on the planet. first couple of days of using it was hard coz all the controls were not in there usual places. however i quickly learnt it all. the interface is much easier and friendlier. all the sliding windows and tool bars really make sence and allow you fast access to the info you want while hiding it all when you dont need it.
Quote:Original post by Lyve
I'm still using 6, I hate it that all my shortcuts that I learned aren't working anymore with the new versions, although they've got some nice features (stl debugging, call browser, debugging release apps, good profiler, ...).

In Visual Studio .NET 2003, start it up, go to "My Profile" at the start page and change yur Keyboard Scheme to Visual C++ 6

Quote:
I also hate it that the new version is eating >100mb memory whereas the old one needs ~15-30mb.

Again, I can't speak for Beta 8, but .Net 2003 is currently taking up 17 Megs of memory according to task manager.
No matter what, use VC++ 2003 or newer. Why? Complete implementation of the STL. If you're not using the STL, you're not coding in C++ - stop hacking together containers, algorithms, etc. and use the STL.
-- Single player is masturbation.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement