Important question about skeletons, 3d models, and openGL

Started by
2 comments, last by Sillbrink 19 years, 7 months ago
Right now I'm in an openGL class and the teacher is having some trobles with what he wants us to do (he isn't exactally a pro in this field). Here is the assignment he was planning. Create a 3d hand with a skeleton and export the model. Take that model and put it into an openGL program and make the key board control the fingers and such. We created the hand model using ArtOfIllusion and exported it as an *.obj file, but we found out today that the program isn't exporting the skeleton along with the model. Should we be exporting the model and skeleton as an *.obj file? Would the maya learning edition have options that allows for such an export? I'm new in this language and I dont want my teachers inexperience of the subject to ruin my learning experience. Somebody please help me find a solution to this problem. ** NOTE ** This is my first time on this website. If I should have posted this in another place please tell me.
Advertisement
Try using the .MD3 format which I believe does export the skeleton. Gametutorials.com has a nice tutorial.
---2x John Carmack
.obj file doesn't export skeleton, it says so in the spec.
Ya, I found out that *.obj wont work.

I briefly glanced at the MD3 animation tutorial, but isn't that only working with keyframe animation? I was hoping to have openGL perform the bone rotations rather then calling a keyframe call.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement