ClipArt Textures for 3d graphics

Started by
1 comment, last by Paul Cunningham 23 years, 6 months ago
I understand that clipart images aren't easy to make in high detail but i'm wondering why there aren't more 3D games using this sort of technology somewhere in the game. It should be relativly low in memory consumption and there no worry about pixelisations and realtime antialiasing. It would probably be faster on the processor too. I'm not a programmer but i'm interesting in knowing about this. Just curious. Bugger, i'm quite tired and this was supposed to be posted in the lounge. Sorry. "So you're the one that designed that game are you?" *Gulp* "Umm, yeah" Edited by - Paul Cunningham on 10/4/00 10:14:35 AM
Advertisement
A clipart is basically a mathematical definition of a picture :
There is a line from there to there, a gradient from there to there and so on. The problem with 3d shapes is that they would take a lot of time to define ( ever tried Persistence Of Vision ) and a lot of time to compute.
Another approach is to have several levels of detail for the 3d objects.
Another possibility is to generate those levels of detail by interpolating between high and low polys.

If you are interested in this, look the articles on "subdivision surfaces" on Gamasutra.

"We are the knights who say NI, NI, NI"
------------------"Between the time when the oceans drank Atlantis and the rise of the sons of Arius there was an age undreamed of..."
quote:Original post by DungeonMaster

A clipart is basically a mathematical definition of a picture :
There is a line from there to there, a gradient from there to there and so on.

Yep, i know this
quote:
The problem with 3d shapes is that they would take a lot of time to define ( ever tried Persistence Of Vision ) and a lot of time to compute.

No, i don''t know this. I''ll have to find out about it.
quote:
Another approach is to have several levels of detail for the 3d objects.
Another possibility is to generate those levels of detail by interpolating between high and low polys.

If you are interested in this, look the articles on "subdivision surfaces" on Gamasutra.

You''ve given me quite a bit to research. Thanks for the pointers DM.

"So you're the one that designed that game are you?"
*Gulp* "Umm, yeah"

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement