640k conventional memory

Started by
56 comments, last by a2k 23 years, 6 months ago
i''m running win98se, and noticed that my conventional memory was 636k, or 637k, or 638k, but not 640k. as of today. i could have sworn that i''ve seen 640k in the past. does this mean i have a virus on my system? or is this less than 640k normal for win98? a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Advertisement
You mean you had less than 640k free, or less than 640k total?

"'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Well, on my 2000 system Im never below 48megs, but thats probally just Win 2000, still, I dont think 98 can run on only 640k, also, lots of programs dont free up there memory properly and over time, its amazing how much u can lose, thats why rebooting every so often is good, inless ur in Linux, then u dont need toj/k
I only have 601KB of conventional memory free. Oh, I remember the days when I had to run memmaker to get a boost in convential memory. Now conventional memory doesn''t mean crap unless you''re running some old crappie 16-bit DOS game.

Alex
bigshot@austin.rr.com

Opinions are like assholes. Everyone has one and they all stink.
Alexbigshot@austin.rr.comFoolish man give wife grand piano. Wise man give wife upright organ.
640 TOTAL. that means virus, right?

a2k
------------------General Equation, this is Private Function reporting for duty, sir!a2k
Win98 can''t run on 640k. A few questions: Does your BIOS tell you this or Win98? Do you mean 640k as in total memory or free memory?

The way I interpret it is your BIOS says you have only 640k of RAM. If Windows still runs then thats very strange. If your system holts then your RAM is not in properly or screwed.

Lucas
-=[ Lucas ]=-
Hehe, damn all of you kids that didn''t have to deal with Conventional Memory! =p

a2k, download some sort of virus scan program. I''m not sure where you''re checking your total conventional memory, but it''s possible it''s a virus, or it might be a property of that specific DOS prompt / shortcut configuration.

Yeah, that does sound kind of scary. I''d definitely do some virus scanning.

"'Nazrix is cool' -- Nazrix" --Darkmage --Godfree
Need help? Well, go FAQ yourself. "Just don't look at the hole." -- Unspoken_Magi
Remember in 83-84 there were such cool pcs! There was the IBM televideo Pc with its'' staggering 128k ram! Then there was the TI PC that had more software "Cartridges" Then any other home computer in the world!!!

Matthew Fitzgerald (Maketty),
Knightvision Games
Maketty (Matthew FitzGerald) The meaning of Life part 5:Live organ transplants...
quote:Now conventional memory doesn''t mean crap unless you''re running some old crappie 16-bit DOS game.

Hey! Some old DOS games are good!

IO_FissionSig();

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement