help a noob out

Started by
18 comments, last by GameDev.net 19 years, 7 months ago
Ok i started learning c++ yesterday here is a piece of code i have written, why does it not compile and run, i use borland c++ builder 5 #include <iostream.h> int main () { int x=5; int i; cout << "enter the number five"; cin >> i; if (i==x) cout << "well done!"; else cout << "i said type five dumbass"; return(0); }
Advertisement
Worked fine for me. <iostream.h> is depracated. Use <iostream> and then using namespace std;

#include <iostream>using namespace std;int main (){   int x=5;   int i;   cout << "enter the number five";   cin >> i;   if (i==x)     cout << "well done!";   else     cout << "i said type five dumbass";return(0);}
oh boy...
1) iostream.h is a non-standard header, use iostream.
2) what errors do you get?
#include <iostream>#include <ostream>#include <istream>using std::cin;using std::cout;int main (){	int x = 5;	int i;	cout << "enter the number five";	cin >> i;	if (i==x)		cout << "well done!";	else		cout << "i said type five dumbass";	return 0;}

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

i think it might be my compiler, it says "unresolved external form", any compilers you would recommend?
Hrm, seeing the error would be much more helpful. You could use Visual C++ 2003. Or GCC or DevC++...

In time the project grows, the ignorance of its devs it shows, with many a convoluted function, it plunges into deep compunction, the price of failure is high, Washu's mirth is nigh.

Quote:Original post by Washu
Hrm, seeing the error would be much more helpful. You could use Visual C++ 2003. Or GCC or DevC++...

ok, is devc++ shareware/freeware and what is the difference between iostream.h and iostream?
iostream.h doesn't exist in the context of the standard. iostream does however. DevC++ and variants are free. Visual C++ 2003 is not, but the CLI compiler/linker is.

Yes, dev-C++ is free. Go here to download it. And it would definitely help if you posted what error you're getting, exactly. Chances are somebody else has gotten it.

EDIT: link fixed
Things change.
the link u gave me was incorrect and for the original code i posted do you really need to add the other #includes

EDIT: the #includes i meant were #include <ostream>
#include <istream>
using std::cin;
using std::cout
Quote:Original post by Haku
the link u gave me was incorrect and for the original code i posted do you really need to add the other #includes

Yes, iostream will declare cin and cout, but might not define them in any other regards (most libraries do however).

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement