Factorization of massive numbers.

Started by
52 comments, last by Nice Coder 19 years, 6 months ago
How much do you know about current techniques in factoring huge numbers? You may want to try looking into the quadratic sieve and general number field sieve before you try inventing your own method. It helps to know what was done in the past before you try to invent the future.

edit: also try looking into elliptic curve factoring, it's a very interesting topic that needs more research
Advertisement
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
Quote:Original post by Nice Coder
It works too!

No it does not, see my fix.
Anyway this 'algorithm' is not _any_ better then just brute force checking of all possible factors less than sqrt(n).

Quote:Original post by Nice Coder
I would like to know how this algorithm stands.

I think one would have more chances of just guessing the secret message than successfully exploiting this stuff.

1. it works, after the changes you outlined...... but anyway, i fell rather nice, having worked out the method (minus the sqrt) by myself!
2. You can't guess hashes! What i am trying to do, is get d.

so with c^d mod n = m
You know m, d, n and C

You also know what c^d could be.
c^d must be on + m
where o is some integer, n and m are the key (the product of p and q) and the message respectivly.

so, we check o, and for each o, we find the d so that c^d = on + m.

If we cannot find d, then this o must be the wrong one, so you increment o and try again.

we then check the other known c/m pairs (ciphertext/plaintext).
if (for all c/p pairs) ci^d = on + mi then,
we have found d!, we now have the decryption key!
else
we have the wrong o, increment o and try again
end if

i think this should work, but then again, it may not.

Btw, if x^y = z
if i know z and x, how would i find y?

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
NiceCoder,
You'd be better off using Mathematica or Maple than VB for number theory
x ^ y = z

Assuming ^ is exponentiation (programmer forum, hence it could be XOR):
log(x^y)   = log(z)y * log(x) = log(z)y          = log(z) / log(x)
Google for "discrete logarithm" and you will see that the problem is not any easier than factorization.

Modular exponentials modulo a non prime are difficult beasts. For example, we know (Fermat's little theorem) that, if p is a prime,
2^(p-1) = 1 (mod. p)
One could ask whether it could be the case that
2^(p-1) = 1 (mod. p^2) for some primes p
Actually, it's not hard to find two such primes with a naive computer program (1093 and 3511). Are there any other primes with that property? Nobody knows. Actually, if you could prove that there aren't any others, you could derive from it an alternative proof of Fermat's last Theorem (or so I read somewhere).
Quote:Original post by Anonymous Poster
NiceCoder,
You'd be better off using Mathematica or Maple than VB for number theory
Or the much cheaper GNU MP big number library.
Free Mac Mini (I know, I'm a tool)
I'll refrain from ranting about how BS VB is, since C and Java etc won't do big numbers if you stick them in a long either. (This is no excuse to use VB, though.) Just use Windows Calculator (for Win2K or XP) for crying out loud! As if you needed it to tell that
43137655118390846898163374197591 * 2 != 862753102367816937963267483951819444767

It's 86275310236781693796326748395182. And now you've seen Windows Calculator successfully multiply a fairly large number by 2. That's only because this is under 32 bits, of course, which means it's nowhere near the range of a 256 bit RSA key, naturally.

Just so you don't wast any more time on your older method, the original post of the number of comparisons to be made going up by a factor of 10 each time (the 20, 200, 2000, 20000 post) was correct. What you're missing is that just because all numbers that end in 3 and 3 multiplied together end with a 9, does not mean these are the ONLY numbers that will end with a 9. ie, 19 and 1, which are both prime, to boot. True, you will cull out a few numbers, but you've still got an exponential tree of numbers left to check, so unless you work this in as an additional check on a much faster algorithm, it's not going to do anything for you.
VideoWorks Softwarehttp://www.3dpoolpro.com
Quote:Original post by fractoid
x ^ y = z

Assuming ^ is exponentiation (programmer forum, hence it could be XOR):
log(x^y)   = log(z)y * log(x) = log(z)y          = log(z) / log(x)

Thank you! (it was expentiation, rating+= 10).

I only use vb, because it allows me to write some simple programs quickly, and it was my first language (i also know enough c++, java and python to know what a program does, and code a few simple things in it), and being my first language, it jsut gives me a feeling of ease to work with it.

The only reson i was trying my origional idea, is to try and get p & q from n. That isn't the only way, however.

Currently, knowing what i know now, i can change my method a bit.

instead of:
c^d = on + m
i have

ld = undefinedfor each i in md = log(on + m) / log(c)if d <> ld and ld <> undefined then   o = o + 1   ld = undefined   i = 0end ifnext ioutput d

This (should) output the smallest (i think) decryption key d, where d would validly decrypt the cyphertext (c) into the message (m).

The only problem is, how big will c^d get, in relation to n (since this algorithm uses n sized steps)?

From,
Nice coder
Click here to patch the mozilla IDN exploit, or click Here then type in Network.enableidn and set its value to false. Restart the browser for the patches to work.
So... i guess this method (finding c^d by using c^d mod n), isn't so good after all. [sad]

From,
Nice coder
Quote:Original post by TubularIt's 86275310236781693796326748395182. And now you've seen Windows Calculator successfully multiply a fairly large number by 2. That's only because this is under 32 bits

That number has 32 digits, so its > 10^31 > 2^32 for sure. So it's not a 32 bit number, it's bigger than that. It would be around a 100 bit integer [31 / log(2) = 102]. Windows calculator is neater than you may think.

This topic is closed to new replies.

Advertisement